Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Charger SXT heater/A/C problems - clicking and stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
smoothmama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Charger SXT heater/A/C problems - clicking and stuck

My charger was making a clicking sound when I would first turn on the heater or A/C and once the heat or cool air started pumping it would stop. WELLLLL, now the clicking is continuous whether I have the fan turned on or not, and the air will only blow straight, it will not move to defrost or to the feet or anywhere else.

Anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to take it to the shop and will they rob me to fix it (yeah I know, we all know that answer)

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, sounds like you either need a Mode Door motor/linkage or the Mode door itself broke off.
A mode door motor should take no more than an hour to change,But the door itself takes about 7 hours.

The motor is above the gas pedal, if you know what you are looking for. Try a New motor, and inspect the linkage, sometimes the teeths goes out of placement.
It kinda looks like this

The Door itself is inside the dash. And if you are going to replace the mode door, Might want to conside replacing the A/C evaporator with it too, since you alrdy spending few hours to take it out anyway.

Last edited by steak59; 05-24-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
smoothmama

UGH, that's not good news. The sound is coming from the dash on the passenger side close to the windshield so it is sounding like the door...

Thank you for the reply!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, there is still hope. The Passenger side is the Recirulation door motor. And if you have a Dual Zone control, there is a blend door motor there. I hardly see doors break off on Chargers, maybe you just need the motor. I would remove the motor, and stick my finger into the door slot, and see if it spins 360 degrees instead of supposely 45 degree.

Both picture below is on the driver's side, above gas pedal. you remove the Knee Bolster to get to it.

#7 is the blend door, #4 is the mode door motor.
If you remove the motor, whats behind #4 looks like this

I've seen the linkage behind the motor pop off few times, inspect it. But I hope you or your mechanic remembers where each piece goes.

Last edited by steak59; 05-24-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 PM
The da

Originally Posted by steak59
well, there is still hope. The Passenger side is the Recirulation door motor. And if you have a Dual Zone control, there is a blend door motor there. I hardly see doors break off on Chargers, maybe you just need the motor. I would remove the motor, and stick my finger into the door slot, and see if it spins 360 degrees instead of supposely 45 degree.

Both picture below is on the driver's side, above gas pedal. you remove the Knee Bolster to get to it.

#7 is the blend door, #4 is the mode door motor.
If you remove the motor, whats behind #4 looks like this

I've seen the linkage behind the motor pop off few times, inspect it. But I hope you or your mechanic remembers where each piece goes.
I was messing with this (bottom diagram 1-7, 11, 12) today in my 2010 3.5L (in pursuit of something else) and apparently messed something up reassembling it and now it won't change modes. Is there a more detailed diagram somewhere or some kind of trick to making sure it's put back together correctly?

ETA - I pulled it apart again today and it turns out this pic was good enough to help me put it back together correctly.

Last edited by The da; 07-05-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Charger SXT heater/A/C problems - clicking and stuck