Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Key is stuck in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Darrel Drumright
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key is stuck in the ignition

I just fixed the pink shifter thingy and everything went well. But... now the steering wheel does not lock and the key won't move to lock and come out. I have taken the shifter apart twice to check for loose wires or crimped cables. Nothing is apparent.

What am I missing?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are 2 cables going into the shifter. The Shifter cable to the Right is for the Transmission, left is the Key Interlock cable. Your interlock cable is probably out of adjustment. Check if you hook it up wrong, or bolt it at the wrong spot, like it is too far backward.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Darrel Drumright

Originally Posted by steak59
There are 2 cables going into the shifter. The Shifter cable to the Right is for the Transmission, left is the Key Interlock cable. Your interlock cable is probably out of adjustment. Check if you hook it up wrong, or bolt it at the wrong spot, like it is too far backward.
Thank you very much for the response. On the interlock cable, there is a metal bulge in the cable, should this be flush with the plastic piece when in park?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Darrel Drumright
Default problem solved

The key interlock mechanism releases when the ignition is turned on. I unhooked the cable from the shifter and let it spool in. This released the key, once I turned the key to lock, the mechanism locked. (duh)

Anyway, all is well. I reassembled everything, tested it several times and everything is working great.

Thank again for the quick response.

DrD

Quick Reply: Key is stuck in the ignition