Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

lifter ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Rlhudson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter ticking?

2008 charger 3.5L High Output, no mods. When I start the car I hear a hard tapping noise that usually quiets down after a few seconds, unless its really cold outside. Ive been told that it sounds like a lifter. is that possible? I ve searched and searched for answers but to no avail. Can this cause complete engine failure?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

It could be a lifter, yes. Could also be an exhaust manifold leak. Need more info. Has it always done it? Just started? You the original owner? Oil been changed recently What oil was used? How many miles?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Rlhudson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlhudson
2008 charger 3.5L High Output, no mods. When I start the car I hear a hard tapping noise that usually quiets down after a few seconds, unless its really cold outside. Ive been told that it sounds like a lifter. is that possible? I ve searched and searched for answers but to no avail. Can this cause complete engine failure?
​​​​​​180000k mi, 2nd owner, and this is definitely not an exhaust leak. I think I have it figured out, but I have not investigated under the valve covers yet. It's looks like these models have a problem with rocker arms and the pin shearing off at the dowel. Pain in the butt to fix at home, and expensive to let a dealership do it. I'm at a crossroads

Quick Reply: lifter ticking?