Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

I smell antifreeze inside my car after driving it with no leaks. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Charger2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I smell antifreeze inside my car after driving it with no leaks. Please help!!!

I just bought a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T with a 5.7 L hemi and I love it. The only thing is that I’m always smelling a coolant smell inside my car after driving it and it is in park. There is no coolant leaks and no overheating. The coolant temp is at normal temp. I took it back a couple of times to the dealership that sold me the car and they can’t find anything. All they did was do a pressure test and sent me on my way. I finally got the used car manager to go on a test drive with me and after we parked it, we sat in the car for a few minutes, then he smelled it. He told me to take it to a Dodge Dealership. So I did, and they told me the exact same thing. They can’t find anything wrong. They test drove it and performed a pressure test and it held. They told me there is nothing they can do because they are not smelling the antifreeze in the car. I’m at whitts end and don’t know what to do next. Is there anyone out there that can help?

Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

How many miles on the car? How does the passenger side carpet feel/smell? Wonder if it had a bad heater core previously, and you are just smelling the remnants of it?

Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Charger2014

I didn’t smell any antifreeze on the carpet. There are roughly 54,000 miles on it. I did check the upper and lower radiator hoses today and the upper hose was extremely hot to the touch at normal operating temps, while the lower hose was not as hot. I was researching this issue and other forums had this same problem with another model car and they said it was a “valley” gasket and didn’t notice it until they took off the manifold but that was on a BMW.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

BMW isn't going to be even close to your charger.......

If the system is holding pressure, then it can't be much of a leak. Since you smell it inside the car, I would be tempted to start poking around with a bore scope inside the heater box, and see if anything presents itself.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the heater core, mine went on my Magnum; it didn't puke coolant inside but it sure smelled. Also the heat wasn't working. Is your heat working? If it is, then like HeyYou said, it may have had the core replaced a while back and it's burning off leftovers.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Charger2014

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Sounds like the heater core, mine went on my Magnum; it didn't puke coolant inside but it sure smelled. Also the heat wasn't working. Is your heat working? If it is, then like HeyYou said, it may have had the core replaced a while back and it's burning off leftovers.
I have great heat. It works good.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Charger2014

Originally Posted by HeyYou
BMW isn't going to be even close to your charger.......

If the system is holding pressure, then it can't be much of a leak. Since you smell it inside the car, I would be tempted to start poking around with a bore scope inside the heater box, and see if anything presents itself.
Thats a great idea. I will start there then I can present my findings to the dealership.

Quick Reply: I smell antifreeze inside my car after driving it with no leaks. Please help!!!