Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Code p0128

Old 11-14-2018, 04:46 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code p0128

Hello, my 2011 Charger SE (3.6) has been throwing this code now and again over the last few weeks, my cheap scanner says “coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp”. I’m assuming this means the thermostat isn't behaving properly, as the coolant level and strength is right where they should be. The temp gauge is always dead on where it’s always been, so I’m not overly concerned at the moment.
My question is what is the best brand thermostat for these engines? I’ve heard of people using thermostats that are a different temperature then stock, what is the reason/advantage to this?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Use a stock temp thermostat. There is no advantage to using something cooler. You actually get worse gas mileage that way, as the computer tries to get the engine up to the temp it thinks it should be. (not to mention, that once it figures out that it CAN'T, it will whine about that too.)

Stant makes good stats. Do NOT get one of the 'safety stats'. They fail far to easily.

Before digging into it though, I would be tempted to see what temp the pcm thought the engine was, and verify that with a temp gun, or some such. Might be a bad stat, might be a failing temp sensor.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:41 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I’m no sure if my crappy scanner will tell me actual temp, but I’ll give it a try on the next warmish day.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousgeorge
Thanks! I’m no sure if my crappy scanner will tell me actual temp, but I’ll give it a try on the next warmish day.
I am not expecting to see any of those for a while.......

Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 what he said
the p0128 is a rationality code. the pcm monitors the coolant temp on a cold start up. It expects the coolant temp to be at a set number after a predetermined run time...if its not the code sets. so the fault is either with the thermostat being open or a temp sensor issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code p0128