Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Low beams out

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Everette62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beams out

I have a 2006 Charger RT, issue just started last week. Both low beam head light bulbs blown. Replaced bulbs, No signs of damage on fuses, no signs of problems with the bulb receptacles or wires leading to them, tried replacing switch in dash. Low beams still won't work. High beams are fine. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Everette62; 02-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Are you getting power to the bulbs?

Old 02-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Everette62

Yes I am getting power to the bulbs. The sockets and wires show no damage. I went through both sides and found no damage in the wire harnesses. I pulled and reinstalled the fuses and tried the lights again. They worked... Not sure what I did since it seems they are two separate wire harnesses with two separate fuses. The only common item they share SEEMS to be the switch but I already tried a replacement and it did nothing to resolve the situation. The issue is cleared but I still would love to know what caused both bulbs to blow at the same time. Have to deal with the uncertainty of the issue coming back. Thankfully my high beams are unaffected so far so there seems to be no out right safety issue other than being an "@ss " to other drivers being forced to keep high beams on until I get somewhere I can pull over.. Thanks for responding..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Dodge couldn't make up their minds how they wanted various lights to work. In some, the headlight switch provides power, in others, it provides the ground path... No idea which yours uses, but, blown bulbs are generally an over-voltage thing, or a bad ground..... Of course, it's entirely possible you had one blown for a while, and didn't really notice it until both stopped working. (seen that before) Find a factory service manual for your car, with real wiring diagrams wouldn't be a bad idea....

Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

diagram I have show no fuses.. the low beams are powered by the front control module. try putting di-electric grease in the bulb sockets. if both blow again...it may be a module problem.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Everette62

I park my car in the inhouse garage. I always have headlights on day or night when I drive. Car is slate grey in color and I don't want people saying "They never saw me" if they pull out in front of me nearly causing or eventually causing an accident. Even with lights I still had a guy in a pick up claim he didn't see me but I was fast enough on the brakes and slow enough already to avoid hitting him. Tennessee is an at fault state. So in garage, my headlights would shine against the facing wall. I would know and already have used that to spot issues in the past.

As far as fuses go. I found a fuse box diagram for box in the engine bay passenger side towards the front . The fuses are 30s one for each low beam and if I recall the positions are 25 and 27.

Quick Reply: Low beams out