Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

07 2.7L charger making intermittent grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:02 PM
fortyways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 2.7L charger making intermittent grinding noise

This car is truly frustrating. About two weeks ago on the way home from the dmv i noticed a grinding sound coming from the engine bay, which went away ten seconds later. it’s been happening since then.

it happens all the time, in park, neutral, reverse, drive, etc. whether i’m moving or not, so i ruled out the brakes and transmission. it’s a noise coming from the engine bay that will happen randomly, for about 10 seconds and also will slow the engine down a little bit. sometimes it’s a very light grinding and sometimes it sounds like something is getting ripped apart, and i can feel the grinding noise in the brake and gas pedal (not when pressing either).

i dont know what it is and am afraid to take it to a mechanic because i’m in a position where they can tell me whatever and i’d have no way of knowing if they’re lying.

if anyone can help, the main point is that it comes on intermittently, for 5-15 seconds at a time, then goes away. it’s like there’s something that’s actually engaging on either the timing belt or serpentine belt. someone help, this noise is driving me crazy

Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Bearing going out in something. Need to figure out what it is. Pull the belt, and spin everything by hand. (well, not the crank, but, you get the idea.) See if anything feels 'odd'.

Quick Reply: 07 2.7L charger making intermittent grinding noise