Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 dodge charger & 1998 dodge durango interchange

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Tommy Womack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 dodge charger & 1998 dodge durango interchange

hey yall im new to this and i posted this on the new member page and didnt know if any one ever looked at that page to give advise so i figured id post here too i have a 5.2 magnum out of a 1998 dodge durango and a 2 wheel drive transmission i have the wiring harness and brain that came with the motor i know the engine will go in the car but it isnt going to b a walk in the park but its all i have and im currently walking and im a father so heres my poor man ways trying to find out what kind of obstacles im gonna b hurdling along the way and tips i know drive shaft exhaust motor mounts it would b greatly appreciated

Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I don't think that's gonna work. You would likely spend more money trying to get it to work, than you would if you just bought a used motor to drop into the Charger.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What happened to grammar? That hurts to read.....

Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grammar and Punctuation were killed in the latest tanker attacks.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grammar and Punctuation were killed in the latest tanker attacks.
Died LOOOOOOONG before that

Originally Posted by Tommy Womack
hey yall im new to this and i posted this on the new member page and didnt know if any one ever looked at that page to give advise so i figured id post here too i have a 5.2 magnum out of a 1998 dodge durango and a 2 wheel drive transmission i have the wiring harness and brain that came with the motor i know the engine will go in the car but it isnt going to b a walk in the park but its all i have and im currently walking and im a father so heres my poor man ways trying to find out what kind of obstacles im gonna b hurdling along the way and tips i know drive shaft exhaust motor mounts it would b greatly appreciated
318 and 46RE out of a Durango won't even bolt into an LX, much less work. Nothing even remotely related to the LA/Magnum engine family ever sat in an LX engine bay. The 46RE trans is setup for a slip yoke which the car doesn't use, plus isn't a fully electronic trans like the 42RLE or NAG1 that will be in the Charger (you didn't specify what's in it now). Could it be made to work? Possibly, but you'd spend more than the car is worth. Is it worthwhile? Not by a long shot.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:52 AM
Tommy Womack

It will work I can put any motor I want in any vehicle I want all I had to do was run the original computer and the Durango computer and I had. To make motor mounts other than that but a 2wd tranny to anyone reading this don't let anyone tell u that u can't do something bc anything is possible u can put a Ford motor in a Honda if u want just work the problem and believe me there's going to be problems

Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It will work I can put any motor I want in any vehicle I want all I had to do was run the original computer and the Durango computer and I had. To make motor mounts other than that but a 2wd tranny to anyone reading this don't let anyone tell u that u can't do something bc anything is possible u can put a Ford motor in a Honda if u want just work the problem and believe me there's going to be problems
Can you? Sure. Is it worth the time/effort/cost involved? Nope. Are you going to have problems? Yep. Will it work as well as a motor that actually came in the car? Not a chance. Back before computers became commonplace in cars, engine swaps were easy. Today, however, electronics predominate, and convincing them all to play nice together is sometimes an impossible task. Unless you want to spend thousands on engineering yet another electronics package to convince the computer that runs the engine, to also communicate with the rest of the car.

Just because you CAN do a thing, does not necessarily imply you SHOULD do it. Sure, I could stuff a 454 into a honda accord, but, should I?

Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Examples? Willing to bet real money that none of them were a much older PCI bus setup into a CAN bus setup like this one. Change my mind lol. If you're so sure and apparently you've done it: "I can put any motor I want in any vehicle I want all I had to do was run the original computer and the Durango computer and I had" then why are you here asking? You're the one who said "you're new to this" lol. Trust me when we tell you. "poor man's way" isn't gonna apply to this. Like I said, you will spend more than the actual car is worth to make it work right, when you could just get a used replacement engine for it and have a fully functioning vehicle vs trying to frankenstein some bullsh!t.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sure, I could stuff a 454 into a honda accord, but, should I?
Yes, YES you should lol...though I'd say go with a 440. Or a new 392. More power and power potential.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 AM
Tommy Womack

well i did put the 5.2 in yes it does work no it didnt cost a lot i have $350.00 tied up in the whole car so id say im doing pretty good i had my buddy hook both computers up and wipe them clean yep it runs way better than the 2.7 that came in it so keep on hating thats why i do the things that i do bc i love proving the idiots wrong from the beg all i wanted to know is what problems i was gonna run into and instantly it was people telling me it wont work well it will and next time READ THE POST AND ANSWER THE QUESTION dont tell the person what can and cant b done bc u look foolish bc anythings possible in the eyes of the lord

Old 07-16-2019, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Really? In the first post, you ask if it can be done. No where do you state you already did it. Quite frankly, I rather doubt that you actually did. So, prove me wrong, show me a video of the engine in the car, the car running and driving, all the gauges working, etc.

I am not going to hold my breath.

Also, name-calling, and insulting other folks on here, that are only trying to help, is not going to win you any points. Might get you banned though.

Quick Reply: 2006 dodge charger & 1998 dodge durango interchange