Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Creaking or popping sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019 | 06:20 PM
DestinyT91
|
Default Creaking or popping sound

I have been all over the place. So for starters they fixed everything from control arms brakes and shocks and the issue was not resolved. So if you have a creaking or popping noise that you can hear great with the windows up and it possibly sounds like it is coming from the trunk, take it to a place that rebuilds differentials. So apparently I need a drive shaft and a new differential that dodge quoted me for $8600. That is outrageous. I am taking it to one of those places that specialize on transmissions and differentials to see if they can give me a better quote. I was expecting $1000 thinking it was the suspension. $2000 would have made me tear up and $3000 would have caught me off guard but $8600 for parts (6000) come on now. I am about to lose it at this point. I am only happy someone figured it out because I have been dropping money for months to finally get to this and it may cost 6000.

Old 10-02-2019 | 11:33 PM
primem
Record Breaker

Can't say i' ve ever heard a rear diff creak. seized u joints will creak. rear diffs usually growl or whine. Is there more wrong with the diff than a noise?

how do you feel about getting a second opinion. I'm not there and didn't inspect it and maybe there is more to the story. but... if your only complaint is a squeak/creak noise that increases frequency with vehicle speed...maybe all you need is a u-joint.

Old 10-02-2019 | 11:39 PM
DestinyT91
|

only issue is i went to firestone initially. They put on shocks and that did not work. They put on other parts and drove it and that did not work. Checked bushings and everything. Took it to someone else they said a trailing arm. So far this is about the most accurate thing I have heard. They said the drive shaft was an issue which connects to the rear differential causing the noise. Im getting a second opinion but Every one else has been stumped. Taking it to Aamco to see if they have an idea.

Originally Posted by primem
Can't say i' ve ever heard a rear diff creak. seized u joints will creak. rear diffs usually growl or whine. Is there more wrong with the diff than a noise?

how do you feel about getting a second opinion. I'm not there and didn't inspect it and maybe there is more to the story. but... if your only complaint is a squeak/creak noise that increases frequency with vehicle speed...maybe all you need is a u-joint.

Old 10-03-2019 | 09:46 AM
primem
Record Breaker

post a video/audio clip of the noise

Old 10-03-2019 | 10:16 AM
DestinyT91
|

So i just got their notes!! You were right. They were trying to replace the entire drive shaft but the technician put in small letters that the U joints were work. He also put that the differential gears were grinding. They did not tell me that over the phone just that i needed a new drive shaft and a differential. I asked them which one was making noise and he said both. I was like well it does not sound like two different sounds just one. Also he said the dealerships were not inspecting my fluid when i got the inspections. He said they were the only dealer that even looked a differential fluid.

Old 10-05-2019 | 11:34 AM
2therock
Veteran

Sadly dealership rip-offs are wide spread. I have seen too much of it personally.
The mechanics/technicians are for the most part very honest hard working Joe's, its the service writers that run you through the grinder.

The techs get orders to to the work and have no choice, or they fix what is required and the service writers cook the books and they never know what you were really charged.
I have been sitting in the waiting lobby and see writers give an estimate for $190.00 to change a cabin filter, showing them the (or a ) dirty one. I understand the 1hr minimum but really? This was an elderly female easily in her 70's. That's just one example I seen sitting there.
I have been pulling wrenches since the 1970's. The few times I have gotten lazy and being able to afford dealership prices I have gotten or had attempts to get burned. With any make and model its warranty work only for me.
Once you clear that hurdle you have to find a reputable shop.

Quick Reply: Creaking or popping sound