Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

blown heads gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022 | 10:13 AM
Bearking
|
Default blown heads gasket?

2006 dodge charger rt 5.7 283k mileages. at first i found yellow gunk under the oil cap but i know i havent drive more than 20 min per day for last 3 to 5 weeks. i know it was comon cuz i didnt drive enough to keep the oil hot enough to separate the water from oil. however no white smoke but on cool or cold morning of course there bound to be small baby amount of smoke coming out of the exhausts. and i check my dip stick notice oil was no where on it. did oil and oil fliter change and 3 days later saw oil level drop on the dip stick no milky looking color. could not find leak anywhere around the motor. any thoughts of what it could be? blown head gaskets??

Old 01-01-2022 | 01:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does the car smoke? (blue smoke) Going thru that much oil that quickly, if it's burning it, I would expect to be able to see it.... If it's leaking it, I would expect to see puddles..... A valve cover gasket leak may let it drip onto the exhaust manifolds, and burn off, but, I would expect you would be able to smell that......

If there aren't any obvious signs of external leakage, run a compression test, (Dry/Wet) and see what the numbers look like.

Old 01-02-2022 | 12:05 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

That's normal. As long as you aren't running milkshake in the pan you're good. Condensation goes to the highest point in the system, which in this case is the oil cap. Yours is going to be worse and here's why:
Originally Posted by Bearking
but i know i havent drive more than 20 min per day for last 3 to 5 weeks.
YOU my friend, are gunking up your engine. 20 min is not long enough to get the engine oil hot enough (per design) to burn off the condensation that gathers in the crankcase and valve gear. Without burning the stuff off the engine will sludge up. The 4.7 suffers from this much worse and this is what worst case scenario looks like on one of those:

Need to take it out at least once a week (more often would be better) and do a high speed freeway blast, get that oil temp up. Good quality synthetic will go a long way with this as well (oil is cheaper than engines).

Quick Reply: blown heads gasket?