Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

06 Charger Daytona R/T is dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 12:09 PM
DodgePATR8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 06 Charger Daytona R/T is dead

Folks,
Last ditch effort before I sell this car for scrap--it has eaten me alive for over 2 years and I never give up on anything. Need to resolve what to do with this car before I deploy in June.
2006 Charger Daytona R/T continues to have a "common" issue - dies when accelerating, dies at idle, sluggish, and now randomly starts.

It has been at the dealer for 18 mos and I rescued it after 2800$ in expense and no result. New PCM, TCU, wiring harness connectivity check, electrical checks, throttle body cleaning, plugs, and I cant remember what else. Before that, it was at a trusted mechanic for 6 months who also did a PCM change. He charged me only parts because he wanted so bad to fix this thing.

Result: Delaer says to put a new wiring harness on the car. I think it has to do with some fuel issue--flapper, canister, tank overflow, or pump. Supposedly this was checked.
Car will be towed to my house on Tues. I plan on doing some simple things I read on the threads.
1) Key fob battery/programming
2) Check the battery cables/connectivity
3) Check ignition switch--lube
4) Zip tie the PCM tight
5) Check the PCM electircal connection - too tight?
6) IF I can get to it -- see about fuel canister or filter
7) treat the fuel/replace
8) Drop my torch next to the fuel evaporator canister and go for a walk!

Any other insights or ideas would be greatly appreciated. What the heck do you do with a "nice care" that doesn't run? Paper weight. Care has 100k on it of well maintained miles. 1st new car I ever bought.
Thanks,
PATR8

Old 01-15-2023, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

When it dies, will it immediately restart?

Pushbutton start?? (in the dash...)

Old 01-15-2023, 08:58 PM
DodgePATR8
Default 06 Charger Key Start --

Heyyou -- Ignition switch requiring a key be inserted, turned, to start-up. Y, so old school...

It has been a while since I have been in the thing, but it would restart when it was stationary about 95% of the time. When running on the street, stop at a light or waiting to pull into traffic, and it would die. It would restart
at first but sometimes would cut out upon acceleration. The problem became worse when the tank was filled. I stopped filling it to full and it would do more/less ok, but it became worse over time in restarting. Had it to the shop when the problem first surfaced 3-4 years ago and the mechanic surmised it was the "flapper" or "spillover" from the tank and PCM would cut out. We did not replace the tank and I just did not fill it up anymore.

thanks

Old 01-15-2023, 09:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check and see if the charcoal canister is full of gas.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This is from another site concerning a stall after filling up.....

More than likely if the car stalls after fill ups it's because the EVAP purge solenoid is sucking gas into it. The vent valve on top of the tank will go bad and allow gas to pass through it and into the purge solenoid which is connected to the back of the intake. The gas gets sucked into the motor and PRESTO car stalls from the raw gas it just sucked in. It's basically a manufacturers defect IMO. They refuse to admit this is a problem. Why does the vent on the tank fail? some say it's because people don't stop after the first click when filling up, IDK. And the vent valve is made into the tank. So you have to replace the tank in order to get a new vent valve. You can take it in and have them fill up the tank then test drive it. When it stalls, all you need to do is remove the purge valve shake it and see if gas comes out. If it does you have a bad tank vent valve. Only reason I know is because my wife's 06 has this problem and I'm not about to pay over $600.00 just for a tank !!!! The EVAP vent valve is suppose to allow only vapors by for emission purposes not gas. Dodge said they would only tell me what they would do for me after they diagnosed it. I said " I'm not holding you to anything, but if it turns out to be the tank what would you do for me? " They wouldn't answer until I agreed to pay a dealer to diagnose it.
Give that a shot.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:49 PM
DodgePATR8

HEy yoy,
I will check the canister---get it towed to the house on WED. let you know.
thks

Quick Reply: 06 Charger Daytona R/T is dead