Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Hood strut install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hood strut install?

ORIGINAL: Gomango#2968

Yea they work great. Much better than that cheezy import looking prop. That is one corner they shouldn't have cut.
Any problems with the hood trying to bend at the upper strut mounts?

dave

Old 06-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Gomango#2968
Rookie

The tap size it 8mmx1.25 just tap the holes in the upper fenderwell and snap the top in place after sliding the lower on the stud and slide the clasp over it. Red sticker on the left drivers side and green on the passenger side. I would say no problems with anything bending. A friend I know that works for dodge heard it was just a way to cut some costs. The shock will be very stiff out of the package. The hood puts a ton of leverage on the shocks so it has to be high pressure.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28221/EE023E1B81B44D0290CA14D505FC0CC1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28221/5E00BCE595D046A4B2288C9F06E625B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-17-2006, 12:05 PM
TopBanana_102

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to get a metric tap (don't have any of those in my tool bax).

I agree that the reason for the build-delete was about cost continment and a result of hood bending.

Enjoy!
Glenn

Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TopBanana_102

I agree that the reason for the build-delete was about cost continment and a result of hood bending.

Enjoy!
Glenn
That's what I was wondering about - the hood bending. But you see no problems, right?

dave

Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Gomango#2968
Rookie

I see no problems. If there is a risk of something bending over time...It is still worth it to me not to have to use an ugly hood prop. Besides the hood is hardly ever open, Not much to show off but a huge engine cover.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 PM
TopBanana_102

First, I need to proof-read my posts before I hapily hit the SUBMIT button....
ORIGINAL: 74scamp

Enjoy!
Glenn
That's what I was wondering about - the hood bending. But you see no problems, right?

dave

My sentence highlighted in green is missing the key word "NOT". What I meant to say was:
"I agree that the reason for the build-delete was about cost continment and NOT a result of hood bending.

After installing the OEM struts, I think that there is little chance of the hood flexing out of shape if you lift the hood gently and let the struts do the work! Once the hood is opened past a certain point the struts take over the chore. I could imagine that if you really pulled on the hood and opened it up with a violent motion that the hood may bend since it is tethered at the anchor points. But barring that extreme situation, I think that the hood strut delete is purely for cost containment. The LX platform is not a cheap chassis to build.

If you are having the car worked on by a mechanic, you may want to mention that you've installed hood struts....just as a precaution.

Glenn

Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker

First, I need to proof-read my posts before I hapily hit the SUBMIT button....
ORIGINAL: 74scamp

Enjoy!
Glenn

dave

My sentence highlighted in green is missing the key word "NOT". What I meant to say was:
"I agree that the reason for the build-delete was about cost continment and NOT a result of hood bending.

After installing the OEM struts, I think that there is little chance of the hood flexing out of shape if you lift the hood gently and let the struts do the work! Once the hood is opened past a certain point the struts take over the chore. I could imagine that if you really pulled on the hood and opened it up with a violent motion that the hood may bend since it is tethered at the anchor points. But barring that extreme situation, I think that the hood strut delete is purely for cost containment. The LX platform is not a cheap chassis to build.

If you are having the car worked on by a mechanic, you may want to mention that you've installed hood struts....just as a precaution.

Glenn

Glenn, thanks for the info. I was actually more worried about bending during closing, not opening. I thought (but then again, I probably shouldn't think ) that I had read somewhere that the reason they don't put them on the Charge is because there were problems with them on the Magnums bending the hood. And, I thought it mentioned closing, rather than opening.

dave

Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

Been out of town for a couple of weeks so I'm just catching up.

I just screwed the studs in the mounting holes with no pre-tapping. Maybe I got lucky.

It took me a couple (OK, four) tries to get the struts oriented properly but the plan seemed to do the bottoms first and then pop on the tops. After the struts were in correctly, I slid the locks in place on the bottoms. My friend's Magnum wasn't around at the time I did the install or it probably would have taken less tries

I haven't noticed any hood flexing and really don't expect any. These were the original setup on the (early?) Magnums so the pressures should be proper. My wife's 2003 300m Special, which we bought new, shows no hood warpage from the struts. We have the hoods open every weekend when we clean the cars and I have my kid do the vital fluids check (part of Dad's drivers ed class).

Redbeard

Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 AM
wannahemi

Thanks for the tap size info. I think this the best 10 minute investment that can be made on these cars!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Kustomkarl

I have a ton of struts in my store from when I used to sell truck caps. The mfg of the struts says if I can get the # off the strut it is a good chance I can get the cross- match number and match for the proper psi and length I need for my hood. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Hood strut install?