Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Hood strut install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Dartman69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hood strut install?

How strange! My Charger came factory-equipped with hood struts. Is this whole "hood-prop" deal a USA exclusive problem (as I am from Canada)?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
07RTRTCharger
Default Just did it myself!!!

I just installed the kit myself. I used a 8mm 1.25 tap but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I think there's a greater risk of scratching the fender with the tap handle than it's worth. I started the tap on both sides just to give the stud a place to start. The screwed right in without much fuss. I used a 13mm box end wrench. No big deal. Once the stud is in the strut was a piece of cake. The bottom end is forked and grabs around the ball stud from underneath. Then a lock slides down over the ball. In the top end, The drivers side lines up pretty close. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pry out on the spring lock. There's a slot in the back for this purpose. You don't need to pull too far. Just enough for the ball to easily slide into the hole. Release the spring clip and you're done with the drivers side. The passenger side took an assistant. My son held up the hood as I put the strut rod down. The passenger side went on just as easy. It really is a 10 minute job.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 PM
TopBanana2953
Default RE: Just did it myself!!!

I agree it is an easy mod. It always bugged me when I saw the prop rod on a HEMI come on....That just isn't American I did the mod without the tap however. I asked this same question a few months back and someone else mentioned they saw it done w/o the tap. Just thought you should know.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Cool, here are the part number for the hood struts: 5065278AD & 5065279AD

Let me know if you have extrasI still use the prop-brace.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
rucci1

Hey guys, I put them on my r/t and love them. They are actually on a fiberglass hood I had installed that I bought from rksports. I love them... get em.. you won't regret them...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Dodge-Magnum-hsv
Smile

Originally Posted by Lateral-G
Did '05 Chargers have the struts? I had an 05' Magnum and it had the prop rod. AFAIK struts were never issued on any year Magnum or Charger from the factory.

-G-
Some people have stated that a 2005 Dodge Magnum was NEVER built with hood struts. I still own a 2005 Dodge Magnum I bought in the fall of 2004. It has hood struts that failed 11/09. (Background: This fully equipped SXT Inferno Red paint, light gray leather interior, Magnum model was specifically made for "Dodge Premier Night".)

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

Sounds about right, had to replace the trunk struts on the wife's '03 300m a couple of years ago because they were getting soft. She stashes her laptop and purse in the trunk when she goes to work so the trunk gets opened twice a day. The hood struts on that car are still good though. Also it's been 4 years since I did the conversion on my Charger (check the 2nd or 3rd message from the beginning of this thread) and they are still going strong with no hood warpage.

Quick Reply: Hood strut install?