Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

new ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
ladydurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new ram air hood

Here is a thought to save a couple bucks on the hood. Instead of having it painted to match the car, paint it flat or semi flat black to look like the old shaker hoods from the late 60s like the superbee has on them. Just a thought, I think it would look cool!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Those shakers do look nice.

I'm a bit reserved in the way they run the air to the intake. Most are directing the air to the OEM airbox then of course it takes it's OEM route across to the intake. It seems their covering a good portion of the engine with the plastic duct work leading to traped heat.

I can't say much for RAMAir's intake either. It's covering a good portion engine as well, but theirs does port the air into the intake.

After seening the pictures of that Challenger intake, give me that and the world is good.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:36 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I would want to see more pictures, first. Like the underneath side to see just how the air is actually channeled into the air box, i.e., is it a true "ram", or does it just direct air to the "area". I'd want to see what they recommend as far as mounting, too. The front would be no problem, but what about the back? Just some thoughts.

dave

Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
KC HEMI

if your talking about the ram air hood that im talking about, then it does show the underneath side of the hood at the botom of that page.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Oops! Guess I missed that, thanks. So, it looks like it is supposed to seal to the stock airbox. It also looks as thought the stock hinges would bolt on to it. Looks pretty good, especially at that price - good support bracing, well thought out. A little work on the stock air box and intake and it should work pretty good, especially at speed - ramming all that good air in there.

dave

Old 07-18-2006, 04:07 AM
blade_boy1

That hood looks pretty nice. If you do end up getting it, please let us all know how it goes regarding installation, painting, performance, etc.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

Ya know, it looks like it might work well with a K&N CAI to get cool air to the filter. The heat shield on those is open on the top, sealing against the bottom of the hood and the outlet of the scoop seems to be in the right place. . .

Redbeard

Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
KC HEMI

after thinking it over a bit i realy want a high profile scoop. like the ones from raimairhood.com. i cant tell from the pictures if its a high profile or low profile scoop. i also sent the guy an e-mail asking for a manufacture or more pics and have not gotten a reply. can anyone tell frm the picture?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAM-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM
mnboy
Captain

KC, I see there are actually several places you can get hoods (I have been scoping one out in Florida) but their price is 3x as much. My worry with the one you posted is it's quality. There are different qualities in fiberglass and at $399 for a complete hood, it sounds too good to be true. But, if someone gets one and they really like it, let us know!

Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

From the shadows and highlights in the picture it looks like that ebay hood is as high as the ones raimairhood.com produces.

Quick Reply: new ram air hood