Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

SRT 8 motor in TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006 | 05:01 PM
chargin69
|
Rookie
Default SRT 8 motor in TB

I have a bead on a salvage SRT 8. I was thinking of swapping motors and other parts. Any ideas on if this would work? Computer, clearence, tranny, etc.

Old 08-04-2006 | 05:50 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Default RE: SRT 8 motor in TB

I'm sure it could be done. Just off the top of my head, I'd think you'd need the entire wiring harness, computer, tranny, rearend, exhaust manifolds, everything that would or might be specific to the 6.1. Then, I don't know what sensors, etc., that might be different from the 5.7. It may be much simplier than I'm thinking, but you know what they say - multiply everything you think you'll need by 3 or 4 times, and you might be close []

\dave

Old 08-04-2006 | 11:59 PM
daytona3282

That sounds pretty cool, but, (there's always a butt), not sure why you'd really want to do all that if yours is working fine. These cars are no slouches, I traded in a 500 HP SRT 10 Ram to get mine. Don't get me wrong...I AM a horsepower junkie and the extra power would be great, but (there it is again..) for the effort and cost required to make the swap I'd keep my eye out for a good supercharger.
If I'd blown my motor up and had to yank and replace it anyway, sure, I'd grab the SRT 8 motor (or stuff the Viper in![sm=badbadbad.gif]) C'mon Dr Z....give us a Viper powered Charger...we could call it the Charger "500"....wow, even able to use an old Dodge name.

Old 08-05-2006 | 12:25 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

An SRT-8 crate motor (complete) is only $7250.00 You could probably sell the Hemi for a pretty penny since a crate 5.7 Hemi is $6900.00 .

Someone needs to blaze the trail for others to follow...

Old 08-05-2006 | 12:51 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

That would be a cool project. Looks like Dave has a very good list started for the swap. I haven't heard of this being done but a lot of people have been thinking abou it. Does the SRT8 have a different tranny than the 5.7s?

On the lighter side... I bet the check engine light would function fine I'm also w/daytona3282, purchase a big shoehorn and stuff a viper or 6.4 hennessey power plant in that baby.

Old 08-05-2006 | 02:30 PM
mnboy
Captain

Chargin,
I was also very serious about putting a 6.1 in my Daytona. I contacted a place in AZ that had spare 6.1s and for around $7,200 delivered I could have the dealership put it in. I believe it's the same block so mounting would work. The transmission is the same model, I don't know about internals. But would the extra 75 HP effect suspension, rear end axles, or brakes? Probably not. But the BIG question was the ECU. Hotrodlane said they could get me the 6.1 ECU and the wiring should be similiar. I also contacted a New Jersey place that sold 6.1s on ebay. Price was similar.
But they also said I could bolt on 6.1 heads and intake for only $2,000 delivered. This included the fuel rails and injectors. I would need to buy new 5.7 head gaskets for the swap. Of course, then I need new exhaust manifolds and bigger exhaust. While I was doing the head swap, I could take out the MDS valve parts and install a moderate cam set up for abit more umpf. So this would be around $5,000 and keep the same block. HP? I have no idea. But the manager said they have done swaps and the cars really go... whatever that means. The look would be just great to open up the hood and see the 6.1. But for a $5,500 supercharger you can get +123 rear wheel HP (the one from GS Motorsports) and skip the electronics swapping.

If you do it, you'll be the envy of us all.

Now all you need is that checkbook...

MN

Old 08-05-2006 | 03:47 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

The SRT-8 Hemi and the 5.7 Hemi are the same block, they changed the bore and stroke and the heads have larger ports to get the extra size and hp out of it. I think you would be smarter putting some modes on your 5.7 instead of the swap. Duel exhaust, headers a cold air intake and computer modes would put you up in the range of the SRT-8 for alot less money and headach. Plus you would be dealing with reliability issuse.

Just my opinion, but like A**holes we all have one..............

Old 08-05-2006 | 03:57 PM
chargin69
|
Rookie

I have headers, hi flo cats, borla exhaust, CAI and Jet Chip 2. I want more power!! I test drove an SRT 8 the other day and the difference is nite and day!!! HOLY COW!!!!!

Old 08-06-2006 | 03:06 AM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Trade the Viper then[sm=gears.gif]...lol

Old 08-06-2006 | 01:48 PM
mnboy
Captain

Thanks Orv I know what you are saying, but the swapping of the heads, intake, cam package and headers are probably what I'd do over a supercharger. I have no idea where the HP would end up, but it would cost much less than that supercharger and not have to be force fed everytime I start it. Yeah, I thought the cost of the 6.1 is way overrated for only 75 HP. However, selling the 5.7 is a good option there.

Just before I sold my GTX I was toying with the idea of Indy heads on my 440. I was told they were better than the Edlebrock or Mopar Perf ones. They were bragging anywhere from 80 to 100 HP. But I know we're talking apples and oranges here. My 440 certainly had more punch than my new Hemi. When I contacted the New Jersey place he said they've done the swap, but didn't have dyno or track times difference. For me, I like proof, not "oh, it's sooo much better..."

I already have duals, a CAI, and a Jet 2 chip in my Daytona and run a 14.04.

Anyone out here want to swap a set of 6.1 heads and intake for a 1954 round shouldered working Coke machine?... Well, it's a thought.

MN

Quick Reply: SRT 8 motor in TB