Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..

OMG, somebody take those away... NOW!

Like your tools, nice set of... crimpers. LOL

Kidding aside, that looks like the right one to me.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 PM
mnboy
Captain

You don't need to recalibrate the system, since the system will not be changed much and can handle it. Frankly I'm not sure if you need to take off your negative cable to have it self-reset or not. Blowing air into it, like a turbo or supercharger, will change everything.

You get to live with the DRONE devil now. Some people appear not to mind it... in my Daytona it was awful. But, not anymore.

MN

Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 AM
dodgegirl67
Professional

mnboy..
what do you mean by 40's? Is this a different tip I can put on it? Bigger to make it louder...I am definitely going to take it to a friends shop to cut the pipes back off and reweld them more under the bumber where they were and clean up the crappy weld job. The guy I went to just did a horrible job. I first year apprentice could have done better. So dont worry about pulling the #11 fuse? Wont make a difference. Or dont worry about disconnecting the battery? We all know I have gremlins hiding in my car waiting for me to perform those actions.. The drone is loud but I want everyone to hear what the engine can produce..

Question, the v-6 chargers, do they have only one pipe coming out the rear instead of true duals? is this a way to tell if it is a v-6 or a v-8? That and the rims are different. Any other tell-tell without looking under the hood or at the interior? Let me know about the fuse and battery disconnect before I go do it tomorrow and kill me vehicle...[cross my fingers it wont shut the vehicle down again and not start up]...

Jules.

P.S. any of you heard from my sis lately "dodgegirl0667"? I havent seen her post anything..

Old 08-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

I did that and the drone drove me (and my wife) nuts. That's why I went with the Borla's. People tolerate different frequencies differently. Some don't mind the drone and some do. If you don't mind it, fine. If it bugs you, the Flowmaster 40's sound like a good next step and cheaper than a total cat back system. I like the look of the rolled tips on the Borlas a little better than stock. You can order them but they are a little spendy being stainless. They might help tone down the drone a little as well. It's kind of a stick it on and listen exercise trying to find that right sound.

The 6 banger chargers don't have Hemi badges! Only the R/T's, Daytonas and SRT8's have the Hemi. The SE and SXT are V-6. I think that the V-6 exhaust splits after the single cat and has two exits so it looks like duals until you crawl under it. That's what it looks like on the aftermarket exhaust websites anyway. Pretty common design in the industry.

Redbeard

Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 AM
440nix
Rookie

so what you are saying is that if i leave the resinators in there will be no drone,
and if i take out the resinators there will be a drone?
right?
hows corsa exhaust? anybody know?
hows the 128 magna flow i can get them for about 450. - 500.dollers
i want a good exhaust for my mopar long tube headers.

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar long tube headers
exhaust?

73 charger se 440
475 hp
355 gears
mustang killer

Old 08-12-2006, 01:39 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

get ya some Borla

Old 08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Corsa is great, been running them for a while now and am quite pleased. No drone, great tone at all speeds, you can actually carry on a conversation without straining, when you stomp on it the sound is fantastic.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:54 PM
440nix
Rookie

borla 112's or 125's

go mango 1342
mopar cai
mopar long tube headers

73 charger se 440
475 hp
355 gears
mustang killer

Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

cut the rsonators out and you WILL HAVE A Drone!!!! Turn the stereo up loud enough and you wont have a drone at all... HHAAHHAA. just making the mod of cutting out the resonators sounds beefy but there is the drone..If you can handle it go for it.. My hubby hates it..I am getting use to it. I takes a comfortable ride and makes it a bit louder.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:27 AM
mnboy
Captain

Dodgegirl, I see other posters have answered your question about 40s. Flowmaster 40s are the 2 chamber types, with plenty of deep noise. I have no idea what a 40 will sound like on the small block Hemi, but on my 440 they sounded great -- however, the drone drove me to reliquish them and put on Flowmaster 50s (the Delta 3 chambered quieter ones). Nothing. Nothing sounded better on my GTX than the original 40s. Just to darn loud.

Messing with the stock Daytona system will cause DRONE somewhere, as far as cutting off the resonator or mufflers. I am running three resonators (the Magnaflow rear resonator/mufflers, and the stock suitcase resonator). As time goes on, and the miles go on, the system is getting louder. The DRONE is acceptable so far. The MF rears are 4" OSD with 3 1/2" inner diameters.

Headers are next, but first I have to decide if I put on the 6.1 heads... of course THAT will change everything!

I understand your husbands plight... [&:]

Have fun!

MN

Quick Reply: Still kickin around idea of resonator chops..