Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Well, got it back.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:25 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, got it back.

Got the new suspension components installed yesterday. She drives much better now. However, still have some steering wheel "shaking" like 440nix has indicated he has. I believe it is just the nature of the beast and something that DCX needs to address.

All you other guys with Daytonas have indicated you don't have this "shaking" problem when encountering certain bumps. Isn't the Daytona steering full time power? The R/Ts are only power at slow speed, then the power goes away. I'm wondering, if you all do not have this problem, if that could be a reason.

My gas mileage has suffered as the result of running lower air pressures in the tires, but she's much nicer to drive, now. It's fun again. I also re-programmed the SC to 87 octane. It's not quite as quick, but seems much smoother. Just can't afford the $50 or so to fill 'er up everytime. At least not right now. It also didn't seem to want to hold the 91 octane setting for very long. But I LOVE my R/T Charger!

Let me know about the power steering on the Daytonas.

Thanks,

dave

Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker
Default RE: Well, got it back.

thats weird we dont have any steering issues beside going to all the gas stations

Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Lateral-G
Professional

The power steering doesn't "go away". Cars today have variable power steering. At low speeds you get more hydraulic boost to help steer and it feels effortless to turn the wheel. As you go faster this hydraulic boost is reduced and the steering feels more like a traditional rack and pinion. This is to keep controlability at high speeds and prevent over-steer. Try disconnecting the power steering some time and you'll see what a bitch it is to steer at any speed.

-G-

Old 08-13-2006, 02:45 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I know, G. I didn't really mean that it "goes away". But you knew what I meant. I thought I had read in a brochure that the Daytonas more performance related steering keeps more of the assist at all times. Just trying to figure it out.

Thanks, though. I appreciate the input.

dave

Old 08-13-2006, 06:12 PM
mnboy
Captain

Hey, Dave. Have you had the tires RECENTLY balanced? This could be mistaken for shake. Front end aligned? Has new struts on her?

My Daytona is a thing of beauty on the road, at pretty much any speed.

I guess beyond the basic stuff being checked, is it possible you have a bad tire or rim??

MN

Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mnboy

Hey, Dave. Have you had the tires RECENTLY balanced? This could be mistaken for shake. Front end aligned? Has new struts on her?

My Daytona is a thing of beauty on the road, at pretty much any speed.

I guess beyond the basic stuff being checked, is it possible you have a bad tire or rim??

MN
Brand new tires - Goodyear Comfortreads. The shaking only happens when I hit bumps that tend to "upset" the front end. I don't know how to describe it other than it feels like an "old" car with bad ball joints or tie rod ends. It rides smoother now and quieter with the new tires. But I still have a feeling there is something basically wrong with the suspension on the R/Ts. It's different that the Daytonas and the R/Ts with the Road & Track package. Of course, getting DCX to admit it will probably never happen, unless some tragedy occurs - and I'm not wanting anything to happen to anyone. It's just the way these things seem to go. There are now 2 others on-board here with R/Ts that are complaining of suspension/steering problems. I told my kids that if anything ever happens to me, and its traced to the suspension or steering to sue like crazy.

dave

Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Midnight Blue
Professional

I was thinking that the Road and Track package (standard in the Daytonas) had a little quicker steering ratio. Maybe it's just the assist that is tweaked.

Definitely have the tires checked. After the suspension problems, you might have some flat spots or balancing issues. I forgot which tires you have, but the Michelins that came on mine seem to like 32 PSI (pressure recommended by DCX for them).

Redbeard

Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Gee Dave, great to hear you got the car back but hate to hear about the shakes.

I've never looked into the type of stearing, I assume it'st power assisted rack-n-pinion.

Sorry there arn't any clear answers at this point. We need to dig around a little and see what turns up. Hang in there!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Hey Scamp, have to checked the rotors, maybe they got hot and warped, just a thought. Did they check the alignment? Just trying to hit all the points.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MangoInTX

Gee Dave, great to hear you got the car back but hate to hear about the shakes.

I've never looked into the type of stearing, I assume it'st power assisted rack-n-pinion.

Sorry there arn't any clear answers at this point. We need to dig around a little and see what turns up. Hang in there!
Thanks, Mango. It seems as though everyone thinks this "shaking" is a continuous thing - its not. It only happens when hitting a decent bump and then it seems like the front end gets upset and the wheels wobble back and forth really fast for just a second, then its fine. Alignment is good, tire balance is good. I'm thinking, because of a couple others that have now surfaced, that it has something to do with either the shocks or springs or both. It is my thinking that the initial compresion of the springs and/or shocks is just too stiff, or there is not enough rebound damping in the shocks to control tire bounce and the tires start to bounce for a fraction of a second and wobble (may not actually be the tires moving back and forth, but maybe up and down). I assume that the springs are progressive springs, i.e., soft at first then they start to stiffen up as they are compressed further and further. If they are not, they need to be. Shocks, springing (I assume) sway bars, and steering are all different on your Daytonas. It would be interesting to see EXACTLY what is the same and what is different, suspension-wise, on all the Charger models from SXT on up.

dave

Quick Reply: Well, got it back.