Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

krc camshafts that disable the mds

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006 | 04:36 AM
topbanna3767
|
Captain
Default krc camshafts that disable the mds

has anybody thought about disabling the mds it seems the mds is going to be a stumbling block that opens the doors to big hp improvement .from the way i understand it the lift duration is around .493 and that for a really good set up is for a camshaft above the .500 or better but it seems that above .500 the mds is dead and springs and valves need to be changed as well.obviously killing the warranty ? any thoughts ?

Old 09-11-2006 | 05:41 AM
Daytona RT
Professional
Default RE: krc camshafts that disable the mds

Yea.. I have a thought..

Crack the engine anywhere below the intake, behind the water pump or in front of the flywheel and modify the manufacture part, and you've likely voided the warrantee. (note I did not mention bolt ons or exterior mods prior to the throttle body or after the catalitic converter.)

(Pssst.. if cought with a flashpaq program or a jetchip on your unit, and you have an engine failure, you can forget the warrantee too)

Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:25 PM
mnboy
Captain

Certainly the stock set up is above average and not a race set up. Personally, I like getting 25 MPG from a Hemi engine putting out 350 HP. A lot of fun and practicality rolled into one.

Sure, the cam is moderate. So the entire package.

However, putting in a high-lift, long duration cam can make the car miserable to drive. Typically, the high lift cams are sluggish on the low end. Rarely, do you need to use the high RPMs the cam is capable of allowing the engine to deliver.

True, the MDS isn't for racing. Heck, neither is the 4,000 pound body.

Another BIG HP improvement is from head porting. However, Hot Rod Magazine reported, the 5.7 Hemi heads are very good out of the box, but still can be improved, if done carefully. Headers, would be another BIG improvement.

You could run 100 shot of NOS at WOT, and still have MDS for those long trips...

With anything you do, just make sure you're not running lean when you're done.

MN

Old 09-11-2006 | 08:35 PM
Nicky B
Captain

At looking at there site the 206 cam can be installed and the mds will still be usable. For $350 20HP sounds really good. And the head and cam kit the fastest time for a charger with that kit is a 12.9 still all motor, add alittle 75shot of nitrous and you have one nasty hemi charger.

Old 09-12-2006 | 12:08 AM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

the 212 cam is a great improvement still allows for mds but again with anything recommends the valve changes and getting the heads done as well. the car will still be a daily driver and wil be bairly noticable.also with the higher evs he recommended the item on there website called the harmonic balancer ,softens the vibration and makes a more .so i think im gonna go with the 212 cam and maybe even do the valves and stuff i propably wont do the heard porting cost is around 2000 plus dollars and the gain would be to small to justify spending that kind of money.he also said he has a video of the car with the cam and heads done on www.lxforum.com im gonna look for it .

Old 09-12-2006 | 12:32 AM
Nicky B
Captain

ORIGINAL: topbanna3767

the 212 cam is a great improvement still allows for mds but again with anything recommends the valve changes and getting the heads done as well. the car will still be a daily driver and wil be bairly noticable.also with the higher evs he recommended the item on there website called the harmonic balancer ,softens the vibration and makes a more .so i think im gonna go with the 212 cam and maybe even do the valves and stuff i propably wont do the heard porting cost is around 2000 plus dollars and the gain would be to small to justify spending that kind of money.he also said he has a video of the car with the cam and heads done on www.lxforum.com im gonna look for it .
Well with the heads and the cam's you are going to need some dyno tuning done. But you could gain 20-35HP with just heads if you have a cam. And with the head's you run a 125shot of nitrous and have a faster charger then that 6k kit can give you.

Old 09-12-2006 | 12:51 AM
topbanna3767
|
Captain

you have read my mind nicky but i think m gonna pass on the heads ,im hearing there not all that much gain like mangointx said ive heard that in a few places ...the stock heads ae pretty good .

Old 09-12-2006 | 01:39 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

If anyone has any contacts at Edlebrock, Find out if they have plans to develop a I/E train for the 5.7. They are doing nice work on other engines developing a matching/balanced cam, lifter/rod, head assembly.

Like everything else with this engine, we'll have to be patient and wait for the gear heads to catch up with the technology. We've done well with the Type II mods, don't rush into Type III until your certain of the advantages and the results of the process.

I'll likely not do anything until someone like Edlebrock work through the best combinations to performance. By then the chances for designed turbo/super chargers may be a reality, and we'll save ourselves some serious capital.

Just a caution..

Old 09-12-2006 | 01:45 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I'm not giving up my MDS, that's the only reason for the 212 cam, it's the best one that stays MDS compatible.

More stuff for your 5.7 list:

Push Rods - Swedged 5/16 (length: intake x 6.6" exhaust 7.825)
Retainers - 7 Degree
Toner Ring - The reason for vibration concern is the weak stock toner ring. Come on under drive pully!

Quick Reply: krc camshafts that disable the mds