Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

180 stat

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:57 PM
IXLR8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 180 stat

I ended up with a thermostat from O'Rielly and installed it this morning. I tested the car in the driveway and it seemed ok. I took it for a drive and the t-stat failed to open and the engine began to overheat. I had to park the car and get a ride back to the house to get the original tstat to install. Almost the most expensive tstat I have ever bought. Who would have ever thought one could fail out of the box...

Does anyone know if Dodge dealers sell a Mopar Thermostat, so that this will not happen again ???

Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Zedd
Rookie

That is actually not that uncommon. It happened to me often enough back in the day that I never instasll a Tstat in any engine without testing it on the stove. Place it in a pan of water and use a thermometer to see what temp it opens at. It only takes a few minutes and saves your labor every time.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

that video was great .helped install mine 2 days ago .hey mangointx damn shame you didnt video tape yours maybe you could help me with my install later this month ....now that i think of it ,that video could be an excellent idea ,how about a forum or seperate website with videos of repairs that for a small fee can be downloaded ..

Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

Would you have to run the fan mod to get the full benefit of the 170 or 180 deg.stat?

Old 10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I about fell over when I saw Powerwagon's video a few months ago. I never used a plastic baggie to catch the spill over. I would let it spill and clean-up/add distilled water after it was done. That was one of those KISS (keep it simple… stupid) techniques.

I’m always ready to help out, just let me know.

baldyloxs - The fan mod is useful when at the track or in stop-n-go traffic. At the track after a run leave the fan on to help cool her down for the next run. Same thing when in stop-n-go traffic, just flip the switch so the baby stays cool. This works regardless of the degree of T-stat your running.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

Ok I just thought the fan wasnt kicking on till 200+ since the cars run so warm.I realize the theromsats open at whatever temp is in there,but dont know what temp the fan kicked on .thanks 'Marty

Quick Reply: 180 stat