Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Performance recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 AM
johnbomb44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance recommendations

I read a lot of posts with performance recommendations but I cannot find those posts at the moment. I'm kinda cheap but would like to modify the performance of my car. I wash and wax it faithfully but now I think its time to enchance something under the hood. I see a lot of recommendations for exhausts (which is kinda expensive), air intakes and chips. Since this is my first modification, what would someone recommend. If so can you also provide a link so it can be easier on me.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 AM
charginscott
Veteran
Default RE: Performance recommendations

If you are a little mechanically inclined you could do an intake called the Frankintake, it would cost less than $100. Let me see if I can post a link on how to do it.http://lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=37580. Just be warned - my AIS sensor is 1/2" diameter. You will also have to build a support for the filter, I made mine from some aluminum flat stock and a few sheet metal screws

Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

well wash and wax is nice but wont add to performance ........well you may get a debate as to which is first but the most important question really is how far do you want to go with the mods.hp is like crack the more you get the more youll want .so ill ask you this how much in total do you plan on spending over the life of your ownership.example if you only plan on 1000 max then do a cold air intake and a nice exaust i like jba there propably the cheapest and there great .and that will leave you enough for a throttle body spacer. and that should cover the 1000 dollars if you go up to 2000 .do the same as above adding hi flow cats and headers.know which you plan on doing depends jba has a set of high flow cats and heads but combined there about 900 or you can for the same price you get the one piece mopar unit expensive but worth every penny then for sure you need to get the superchip goes for about 400 on ebay and the jet chip there are 2 type of jetchips stage 1 and stage 2 the difference in the 2 is that the stage 1 is for cars with no mods and stage 2 is for cars with cold air intakes exaust upgrade but the fastest and easiest way to add hp and performance upgrade these 2 programs will cost the cheapest and require no proffesionalk installers and both can be done in under an hour .now beyond this point is where you get into complex and complex is another way of saying expensive.so again it all depends on your budget .but for starts do a cold air intake then do the cat back that will for sure be quick and easy and the cat back if your a little handy can be done by yourself or maybe with a friend.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:01 AM
johnbomb44

That's another problem, I'm not too mechanically inclined. I'm just determined to get something done. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 AM
johnbomb44

I like the sound of the 1000 package for now. I am definitely looking to make the car sound more muscular without stepping on the gas, so an exhaust would be the way to go it seems like. I'm just being cheap for now due to the fact that I'm still in college but working fulltime. As soon as I graduate I will be looking to pick up with getting acquainted with my car and not just a wash n wax on the weekends . Thanks for the reply's I really appreciate all the input...

Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Armageddes
Rookie

The CAI seems to give you a little boost in HP and gives the motor a throatier sound. They're not too bad on the pocketbook and easy to install. I've seen the Frankintake ref'd above. It probably works better than a manufactured product (there is probably some actual cool air hitting the filter with that setup), but holy cow that's too much fabricating, measuring, love, etc. for a normal person with average skills (like myself). That's why God created Summit Racing! I have a Mopar Performance intake, but I think most of the major brands are pretty similar, regardless of what they advertise as performance gains.

Superchips are instant gratification. I don't have one because I am still a wuss and I worry about things like warranties. After my car has shaken out a bit, I know I will have to get one, warranties be dogged. I am just being overly cautious. $400 for 30-40 HP? Sounds good. To bad it's not $800 for 60-80, etc.

When all else fails:

My car at least looks faster after a wash n wax, IMO -- especially when I break out the TIRE GLOSS.

Is it better to look fast or to be fast?

Hmmm. Better ask the Z28 Forum....

Old 12-29-2006, 04:17 PM
earthchain

What model charger do you have? Some people have the suitcase muffler removed on the R/T. They seem to like it and it's about $100 bucks at a muffler shop.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

I have shorty headers, a K&N intake and superchips tuner, and i got it all for under $1000 bucks. It seems to be the best bang for the bucks.

Intake: E-bay $179
Headers: Autoanything.com $445 (they went up alittle since)
Superchips Tuner ;Southern hotrod.com $365

Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Exhaust are alot on money for minimal gain, the R/T exhaust is pretty good. When i put on my headers it made a big sound difference with stock exhaust...JMO

Quick Reply: Performance recommendations