Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Governors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Trina_Syn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governors?

Not sure if I spelled that right. Some guys at work were talking about governors being on all of the new vehicles now. Not that I live under a rock or anything lol but I really did not know this.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about that.
Do our Chargers have them as well?
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:01 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Governors?

They do have a governor or "speed limiter" that limit how fast the vehicle will go. I forget the exact numbers but the R/T will do about 140+/- then the computer says no more.

A SuperChips programmer will allow you to change that limit as well as most PCM flashes.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Trina_Syn
Rookie

I guess that's so you can't outrun the cops lol.
Ok my automotive experience ends with oil changes and spark plugs (not to sound like an ignorant female, I just know the basics) but is it expensive or a lot of work to get rid of the governor? Just curious. Is it illegal?
Also when you say 140 I am assuming you mean miles? I'm in Canada, it's kilometres here but I can do the math. Just wanted to clarify that.
Thanks a lot Mango!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

that is MPH

Old 01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Yep, stock you will have to pull over and give up the goods

It's not hard to do w/SuperChips. It's menu driven and has three buttons; just plug it in and press buttons to tell it the settings you want then press the program vehicle button. You can reporgram w/different settings or return to stock settings whenever you choose.

A new SuperChip can be had for about 360.00 US.We've seen them for sale on this forum from time to time so keep your eyes peeled and pick up a used one.

Yes the 140is MPH, I'll let you convert that to KPH

You can go off the deep end and get a custom tune, normally this is needed for a big cam or other combination (ie cam/heads...). B&G is the biggest outfit we've seen out there tuning the 5.7 Hemi's. Cost normally starts around 450 and goes up quickly to 800-900 US and it's a one time shot, you have to pay to change it.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Trina_Syn
Rookie

Well that's 220 km/hr. I don't think I really need to go faster than that anyway so I'm sure I won't mess around with it. But thanks for shedding some light so now I know what it's all about.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 AM
uaert

Speed governors are based solely on the tires they give you. On my 06 RT, they gave cheap H rated tires, and the governor is at 125, or 206kph (same tire as the 3.5L engine SXT). If you get a car with the W rated, say like on the Perforamnace package or the Daytona, your governor is at the same place as the tires, 240 for W which is about 145-149 mph.

If anyone has a normal RT with W's I would be interested. If anyone has H's, and can go faster than 126, I would be interested as to why as well.

When I replace my tires, which will be much sooner than I would have expected, I will get the W's and the dealer has promised to reprogram the chip governor.

Verdict still out....way out.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Not sure if that was a question or more of a statement uaert.

Some, with correct tires,have gotten the LX (a 300c) up to 172mph using the Superchip to raise the speed limiter.

The jury isn’t deliberating this and the verdict is in:
If you want to go faster raise the speed limiter however you choose. If you want to go faster and be safer also use the correct tires <=this is a just one part of the being safer equation.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 AM
uaert

Mango,

Statement on the verdict is related to the entire car: the verdict is really way out there still, too many problmes to really rubber stamp "happiness" with it, by any comparison.

On the tires; the mfg’s tie the chip governor directly to the tires for safety. I have witnessed this on several cars including ’96 Impala; Z’s with open chip, TransAm GTA, W’s with up to 145 chip. Dealer says if I change the tires, he will change the chip, period. Going 172mph on an open chip is not smart. Biggest killer here is high speed blows on inappropriate tires, including ratings.

On the questions, just curious if anyone got any better tires on the base RT than H rated; and Continentals????

Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Oh I see uaert, the thread was about governors and your "verdict out" statement wasn't qualified to the entire car. Thanks for the update and so sorry your not a happy camper.

That post sound familiar oh yea, aspreviously posted, if you want to raise the governorand do it safely make sure the tires are rated appropriately.

Many R/T owners thathave Conti's are nothappy with them.

Not base R/T but I have stock Michelins V rated.

Quick Reply: Governors?