Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Part Identification.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
mchargue13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Identification.

My Names Zach, I own a 1974 dodge Powerwagon.. I have located a box on my fire wall that connects to both bottom on top of the ballast resistor.. This box looks somewhat like a voltage regulator but is not at all. It has a inline three prong connector. This box has H8D fairly Large on it, With a Chrysler Stamp. It also has two part numbers on it
375 A and below that

I need help figuring out what this is...
My truck is Currently not running,, I have tested all the Electrical, and everything passes.. And I still have no spark. This Box runs connects to the ballast on both top and bottom connectors, Could it be that this box is preventing a circulating current for the ignition coil to function properly?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: Part Identification.

Your part is an emissions control switch.

I have tested all the Electrical, and everything passes.. And I still have no spark.
You've obvioulsy missed something.

Your ignition system has very few components, all of which are easily tested with a DVOM.Assuming you have power to the coil (Key on/start power is there, ballast OK), your problem is with one of the following components or wiring between them:

-Distributor pick-up coil(s)

-4/5-pin ECU

-ignition coil

These systems are somewhat prone to failure, but you can replace every component in the secondary system for under $200, so it's really not a big deal. I keep a spare of every ignition part in the trunk of my '78 Aspen, along with an alternator, belts, hoses and other sundries. Barring engine/tranny/diff failure, there is nothing I can't fix on the side of the road.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
mchargue13
Default RE: Part Identification.

Well after further working on my truck, I have replaced the Distributor, and the Brain Box, ECU, and the Coil.., There is power at the coil, and at the 3 of the 5 pin ECU.

The Two Prong wires coming off the distributor, what are they supposed to read at on a meter?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
cltisdale
Thumbs up What to buy for ram van so I do not have to disconnect drive shaft

Own a Dodge Ram Van 1500 automatic v8 5.2 liter. Have all towing equipment to go behind a Class A RV for flat towing. What do i get so I do not have to disconnect drive shaft when towing flat . Thanks

Quick Reply: Part Identification.