Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1967 Dodge Mail Delivery Van (Lorrie Van Haul) - Brake Prolem Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 AM
charon187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great!!!! keep us posted!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by charon187
great!!!! keep us posted!!!
Hey Mr. C187,
A netizen on another forum wrote:

Originally Posted by B-300
Hoses screwed into the wheel cylinder (sealed with a copper washer), with a hex flange on the chassis end that has an inverted flare connection is exactly what the A-100 and early B-series vans with drum brakes use.
And I responded with:

Hey Mr. B-300,
Yes.

Got a NEW Wheel Cylinder for Lorrie's Right Front Wheel, and it came with the Copper Washer. Got a supply of those same Copper Washers at that time.

So... possibly an A-100 and/or an early B-Series Van w/ Drum Brakes Flexible Brake Hose would work. The end opposite the Wheel Cylinder that goes through the Hex Flange is a LONNNG threaded section.

Did a CAREFUL inspection of the EXISTING Front Flexible Brake Hoses yesterday evening. Cleaned them off the oxidized rubber on the surface, and under the soot-like covering, the rubber is solid, no cracks, and the Hoses are flexible, solid, and quite substantial.

Am thinking that all they need is a careful cleaning of the Wheel Cylinder end fitting, and reinstalling them when the Wheel Cylinders and NEW Copper Washers go back on.

Then before driving Lorrie, doing a test by applying a LOT of Brake Pedal... Actually make a concerted effort to "pop" the brake lines. If they don't give out, I'd feel pretty safe in just leaving them on.

Whaddaya think?

Also, in messing with this, notice that the Steel Tubing in the system has a coil of wire around the Steel Tubing. What's up with THAT, I wonder? Ms. American 3.14159 (the 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Police Interceptor) doesn't have anything like that on her Brake Lines.

So here's the PLAN:

Going to hone the Left Front Wheel Cylinder, and install the Rebuild Kit. Then reassemble both front Brake Assemblies.

Going to then put Lorrie's Rear Axle up on Jack Stands, remove the Wheels/Tires, remove the Rear Brake assemblies, remove the Wheel Cylinders and Flush the Rear Brake System with Brakleen and Compressed Air.

Will inspect the Rear Wheel Cylinders, and if they'll come apart, they'll get honed and new Cups, Spring and Boots will be installed the same as Lorrie's Left Front Wheel. If they are "frozen", as was Lorrie's Right Front Wheel Cylinder, they'll get replaced with NEW Units.

Will clean and repaint the Back Plates, Drums, and Brake Assembly Components, and reassemble the Brake Assemblies.

Then comes installation of the NEW Master Cylinder, and the hooking up of the Front and Rear System Connections. Reinstall the Brake Pedal Push Rod, Add Dot3 Brake Fluid, and Bleed the entire system. Then try to "pop" the Flexible Brake Hoses.

BTW, Lorrie is going to NEED the Boot that goes on the Keeper that holds the Master Cylinder Cylinder in place, and through which goes the Brake Pedal Push Rod. Do you have any idea where THAT item can be had? If not, it's Google Search time again.

The Brake Light Switch, along with the Pedal Back Travel Limiter also has to go in place.

As soon as all this is done, It'll be time go get Lorrie's Engine back up and running. But that's another Saga.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the A-100 and B-Series Brake Lines. If Lorries Hoses pop, then those will possibly be what will replace them.

Will keep you updated as events occur.

JC

Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hey All,
Monday Update:

Got the Right Front Flexible Brake Hose Wheel Cylinder End Fitting cleaned, along with the Rubber Hose part done with soap and water, then Armor All Tire Foam. It looks BRAND NEW.

Got the Bracket to which the Master Cylinder is mounted all cleaned, along with the Brake Line Fittings that screw into the Master Cylinder.

Won't be able to install the Master Cylinder until AFTER the Rear Brake System is done because in order to clean out the Rear Brake Hydraulic System, access to the Brake line that screws into the Master Cylinder need to be had, and if the Master Cylinder were installed, it would be in the way.

Got the Right Front Wheel Cylinder ordered. Will pick it up tomorrow morning. Will also get new Cotter Pins, and Wheel Bearing Grease Cups.

Also, decided that it was time to get Lorrie's Rear Wheels off the ground with the Axles sitting on NEW Jack Stands. Spent some time UNDER Lorrie looking at how best to jack her up. Finally decided that jacking up the Right Rear Axle and setting in on a Jack Stand would be the way to start. Alas, the little 2 Ton Floor Jack is NOT up to the job. Not only is it too short when fully extended, it is also leaking down quite badly. Afraid it is SHOT! Will get a NEW Jack tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Needed a bigger Jack anyway.

Also, another reason that the little Floor Jack was not up to the task is because there were two 80 lb sacks of cement stored in Lorrie's Cargo Hold, along with about 80 lbs of lead lined foam rubber Insulation, courtesy of the crane company at which I used to work. They used to have a nice light foam rubber with a vinyl face on it that was padding for the crane cab. I asked them if I could get a piece of that. They said "Sure.", and told one of the workers to put a piece in Lorrie for me. Got home and discovered that the guy had put a piece of the stuff that had a lead lining on it. It has been sitting in Lorrie for a long time. There was also the 12V Battery that came out of Ms. American and will be installed in Lorrie soon. So all in all, took out about 300 lbs of stuff to lighten the load on the Rear Axle.

None-the-less, it became time to clean all that stuff out of Lorrie's Cargo Hold. The concrete had gone solid, so it was just taken out and put just off the side of the Driveway. The lead lined insulation is covering the fire wood pile. And the Battery was put up in the front part of the Cargo Hold.

BTW, am planning on putting Hurculiner Bed Liner on Lorrie's floor. That ought to be a sight!

With all that done, I was right at the edge of over-doing it. So picked up all the tools, and closed Lorrie up, came in, cleaned up, and wrote this update.

More updates when progress is made.

JC

Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
skane

Hi JC,
Just saw this post, curious what you might value Lorrie Van Haul at?
SK

Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Skane wrote:
Hi JC,
Just saw this post, curious what you might value Lorrie Van Haul at?
SK
Hey Skane,
Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping this forum's thread updated for some time.

The good people here at the DodgeForum won't let me reference the place where the complete diary of the work done on Lorrie is documented, but if you would PM me, I might be able to point you to that thread.

As to her value, to me she is priceless. But if someone were to want to buy her at a reasonable price, that price would be what they would be willing to pay. Let's do it this way, even though Lorrie is not for sale, after you take a look at what has been done to her, then YOU decide what she is worth. OK?

One thing to remember, is that in all the world, Lorrie has only one other remaining example of a 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van. And that fellow showed up making that claim, but never produced any pictures, and disappeared after maybe two or three posts. So it may, or may not be so. Maybe Lorrie IS the last of her kind.

Anyway, I'll bookmark this page, and check back when I get an E-Mail notice.

Thanks for the response.

JC

Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM
skane

Hi JC,

Yes, agree she would be 'priceless'! I actually have a 1968 and wonder what I should set the value at. She runs great, however does need some body work to make her beautiful!
I have a buyer, but want to be sure to set a 'fair' price for both of us. They intend to convert her to an ice cream truck.
Any thoughts on this?
Skane

Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Skane wrote:
Hi JC,
Hey Skane,

Yes, agree she would be 'priceless'!
Well, here is a JPG of what Lorrie Van Haul looks like at the moment.

Name:  lvhaaawhec.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  67.6 KB

She is ready to have the final process of getting her fueled up, radiator filled, automatic transmission fluid added, battery connected, primed, and then see if she will start after sitting since 1996. Have been waiting till the weather cooled down, and it looks as though that is but weeks away.

I actually have a 1968 and wonder what I should set the value at. She runs great, however does need some body work to make her beautiful!
Skane, I have absolutely no idea how much to ask for such a vehicle. They are quite rare. When I bought Lorrie back in 1975, the Post Office in Houston, Texas was asking $1,200.00, if that is any help.

I have a buyer, but want to be sure to set a 'fair' price for both of us.
Like I said, I have no idea what is a "fair" price. You might start off asking more than they are willing to pay because you can always come down in price, but you can't go back up. Then let them make you an offer. It's a matter of meeting in the middle at some agreed upon price.

They intend to convert her to an ice cream truck.
That ought to be a fun trip for her.

Any thoughts on this?
None other than those listed above.

Anyway, hope this finds YOU doing well, and hope that your van finds a good home.

JC
Skane

Quick Reply: 1967 Dodge Mail Delivery Van (Lorrie Van Haul) - Brake Prolem Help