Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

'53 Step Van trouble!! In Need of Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM
mr. tastees
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '53 Step Van trouble!! In Need of Guidance

Ok a friend and I have this 1953 Step Van that was purchased as a company show vehicle. He runs a successful acrylic accessories business and the van is something he takes to fashion shows and photoshoots. He plans to take it to tour the nation exhibiting his art around the country. The major problem you can see is that it is a van that has been sitting in a field not running for the better part of 2 decades. This link is pictures of what the van looked like when we received it. http://www.dodgepilothouseclub.org/d...gcol/index.htm
And this is the condition now.
http://www.mrtastees.com Go a few pages into the blog to see more photos.
New body work fresh metal, and fresh paint. Only problem is the motor almost died on the way to and back from Detroit to get it painted. We are looking for ideas on what we can fit under the hood. And what we can put as a chassis if we need a new one. Much help appreciated.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by mr. tastees
Only problem is the motor almost died on the way to and back from Detroit to get it painted.
Hey Mr. T,
From the JPG, it looks as though the engine is a Flathead Six Cylinder w/ a manual transmission. And the engine is running, just not really well.

We are looking for ideas on what we can fit under the hood.
From the looks of this grand old vehicle, you could put just about anything you wanted in it, BUT it would be a terrible thing to do to something as old and nice as this. It would depreciate its value tremendously.

Why not just rebuild the existing engine?

If you can't do it, there are lots of people who CAN, and it's not all THAT expensive.

I mean, here is an engine that is still running after fifty-six years. How much more reliable can one hope for? It just needs some tender loving care.

It's not a modern technological marvel, therefore any competent mechanic SHOULD be able to make it run well. The main thing would be finding parts, BUT they ARE available if one but knows that for which to ask.

And what we can put as a chassis if we need a new one. Much help appreciated.
Unless the existing frame is rusted out, you probably wouldn't need any kind of chassis replacement. Back in 1953, they were still making vehicles that would last longer than it took to pay off the note.

There are some salient questions: What is your budget?; How original are you wanting it to be?; How original is it at this point? The more original it is, the more valuable it is.

It NEEDS: Good Brakes; Reliable Engine systems: Cooling; Electrical; Fuel; Exhaust; and Lubrication. It needs: Good tires; Good Shocks; and beyond that it is mostly just cosmetics.

In order to deal intelligently, you need to find out its specifics: EXACTLY!

What is the engine. How many cubic inches? Compression ratios, Bore, Stroke, Transmission, Differential, and etc.

The reason you should have this information is so that you can find parts in case anything needs replacing or rebuilding, like Generator, Carburetor, Oil Pump, Fuel Pump, Gaskets, Bearings, Belts, Hoses, Voltage Regulator, Radiator, and etc.

It looks to be in VERY good condition. It would be a shame to cobble it up with something like a Chevrolet engine with an automatic transmission, just because it is cheap and easy.

How to proceed: First off, it's good that you are asking on the appropriate forums. You also need to do some research, but in order to do that, you need to know EXACTLY what you have, as was mentioned above.

I'm not sure where the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) was on that vehicle, but if you have the registration, some of the information can be found there.

If you can give me more information, I can probably find many of the answers.

Hope this helps, and that you are well. Get back to me here if you so desire.

BTW, if you'd like to see the kind of things on which I am working, click on the URLs in the sig at the bottom of this response. I have two of the most RARE vehicles anywhere. One is probably the only one of its kind ever built, and the other is thought to be extinct, but I have one, and it is being refurbished even as I type.

These old classic and antique vehicles NEED our help to survive. Appreciate what you have. Do what is best for the vehicle. She'll love you forever for it.

JC

Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hey Mr. T,
Check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

The engine in your Van is a marvelous engine!

Find out what its displacement is. It could be a monster!

JC

Quick Reply: '53 Step Van trouble!! In Need of Guidance