Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 PM
automan62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition Problem

I have an electrical problem with my 1966 Dart, the problem is that i have changed the coil, point, condenser then within hours they all get burned, the coil gets super hot. The only thing my mechanic have done prior to this problem was changing the starting relay that went bad he repalced it with a t a Ford starting relaiy vice the original Dart relay. I do not know if that may have caused the problem, but I am getting frustrated with this problem, the mechanic don't seem to find the problem. Is anyone out there can shed some light into what may be causing this problem. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM
CHRYNY

Seems very unusual. Those ignition systems are usually very trouble free. Are you sure that your ballast resitor is ok and actually wired in or still wired in correctly. The design is that the ballast resitor is bypassed during start-up allowing more current to flow though the coil to give you a stronger spark when starting. Then, it gets put in series with the coil during normal operation reducing the current through the coil and giving a slighlty weaker spark for normal operation.

Maybe the wiring got screwed up when replacing the starter relay? Or maybe the ballast resitor is NG. But ballast resistor usually fail by opening not shorting.

Also, make sure that there is no current flowing through the coil when the car is turned off. If you are somehow getting power to the coil with the engine off (due to a wiring problem) and the distributor shaft ends up in a position with the points closed (which is most of the time), you will continuously draw current through the coil probably burn your points and cook your coil as well as drain you battery.

Also, make sure you have the correct coil.

Last edited by CHRYNY; 11-16-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 AM
automan62
Smile Ignition problem

I will try replacing the ballast resistor, I thought about that, also i put a chevrolet coil, the one that does not need a resistance and the problem remains, when the switch is off there is no power going to the ballast or the coil. I have replaced just about everything except the ballast resitance. I will probably go with an aftermarket electronic ignition, do you know of a good source. Thank you for you reply.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM
CHRYNY

Do you have the slant 6 or the V8? Is it possible that the mounting of the coil is not correct or original and you have the coil resting on the engine/head and geting heated up by heat transfer? I don't know why your mechanic is not using the correct parts called for - you should still be able to get them with a little effort. Any exhaust leak in the vicinity of the coil? I know on the slant 6 its on the other side but I can't remeber where it is located on the V8. Also make sure that the ballast resistor is actually in use when the car is running after intial start and has not been bypassed via a jumper or short. Wires and distributor cap good? Any high voltage arcing evident?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM
CHRYNY

In case you don't have a wiring diagram. This is a link with a site where you can view a wiring diagram for the 1966 Dodge Dart. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27 I would verify the wiring is correct before you do anything else. Also, was the ballast resistor getting warm when the engine was running indicating that it was drawing current and had not not bypassed.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 AM
automan62
Default Ignition problem

To all of you that help me during my trshooting session and provided me with helpfull information, I thanks you all. I had a wiring problem and was due to the Ford starting relay that was installed. I had to isolate the ignition msystem from the starting system in order to clear the problem, right now the car is running good and has not given me any more problems, Once again thanks to all of you.

Quick Reply: ignition Problem