Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

5.2 magnum swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 PM
jjjbaggs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 magnum swap

I have a 64 d100 that i'm putting a 97 5.2 magnum with manual trans in(have full donor truck) wondering if i can leave the vss on t-case unplugged to use cable drive speedo would it effect engine performance. If so i have also got a 2000 ram 5.2 full truck thats auto thats got the vss in the rear and leave everything for the trans unplugged would it effect engine performance. wanting to use the 64 dash. Thanks..

Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Leave it plugged in so the PCM gets a clue. Otherwise, it'll whine. Or does the cable drive go in the same place? That could be a problem.

The 2000 flavor might be easier.... or not.... it just used the rear wheel speed sensor, which your 64 rear certainly won't have... gonna use the newer rear axle as well?

Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 AM
jjjbaggs

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Leave it plugged in so the PCM gets a clue. Otherwise, it'll whine. Or does the cable drive go in the same place? That could be a problem.

The 2000 flavor might be easier.... or not.... it just used the rear wheel speed sensor, which your 64 rear certainly won't have... gonna use the newer rear axle as well?
I'm actually doing a full cab swap so everything drivetrain is 97.The vss is in the t case and need cable drive i know you can get older cable drive with a signal output but its two wire and vss in the 97 is three wire but maybe only needs two wire if its even compatible with the 97 pcm might be the easiest way if compatible. thanks. Another question would the speed sensor in the rear of the 2000 be compatible with the 97 pcm?

Attached Thumbnails 5.2 magnum swap-img_2431.jpg   5.2 magnum swap-img_2432.jpg  

Last edited by jjjbaggs; 08-05-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: thought of something to add
Old 08-08-2017, 01:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

In 98, dodge eliminated the VSS in the t-case, or trans(depending on how many drive wheels ya had) and used the rear wheel speed sensor instead. So, the 2000 wouldn't have any provision for the VSS in the t-case.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 PM
jjjbaggs

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In 98, dodge eliminated the VSS in the t-case, or trans(depending on how many drive wheels ya had) and used the rear wheel speed sensor instead. So, the 2000 wouldn't have any provision for the VSS in the t-case.
Yea but would the speed sensor from the 2000 work in place of the 97 vss. It be nice if it did lol. Thanks..

Old 08-09-2017, 06:07 PM
jjjbaggs

I'm going to disassemble the ram gauges and make the stepper motors fit in the original gauge cluster run wires from motors to the ram gauge circuit board and hide in the dash somewhere. Hope this works so wish me luck. i'll post pics when i do this but i have alot of other things to do first.

Attached Thumbnails 5.2 magnum swap-img_2433.jpg   5.2 magnum swap-img_2500.jpg