Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Dodge W200 1957 Replace Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 AM
SwedeBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge W200 1957 Replace Engine

Hi,

I have a W200 pickup truck from 1957 with a 230 cui flathead six.
But the engine block is damaged, it has two cracks on the lower left side of the block and one big damage in one of the cylinders.
Because of that I have to replace the engine. And here is where my problem starts...
I want a similar engine that fits right into my truck.
I have recently found a engine from a 1948 Dodge Custom Convertible. I talked to the seller/owner of the engine and asked him if it is a 230 cui engine.
But he tells me that the engine is a D24, I've never heard of that? He says that the engine has got a plate on it where it's marked with D24.

Does anyone know, and can tell me, if this engine will fit into my truck? The best would be to find a engine from a -57 pickup truck. But I have searched a long time (like one year) and has not succeeded...

I want the engine to fit without modifications (at least big ones) and to fit directly on my manual transmission in the pickup truck.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Well, according to theory, it's a 230.2 CI engine...... From what I am reading, it *should* be the same motor...... some parts spread from 1939 up to 59... So, probably a safe bet. Take some measurements, (and pictures....) and compare the two.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM
SwedeBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, according to theory, it's a 230.2 CI engine...... From what I am reading, it *should* be the same motor...... some parts spread from 1939 up to 59... So, probably a safe bet. Take some measurements, (and pictures....) and compare the two.
Yes, did a Google search and the engine from 1948 Dodge Custom also seems to be 230 cui. If some parts are different isn't a big deal because the engine for sale is complete.
The big question is if it fits to the gearbox and things like that. Small things like a bracket or a cable connection can easily be modified.

One solution is to rip the gearbox out of my truck and bring it with me and take a trip and have a look at the engine. Then I can check the gearbox fitment to the engine block.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Carting around that trans might be a pain, but, certainly a good way to make sure things line up properly.

Quick Reply: Dodge W200 1957 Replace Engine