Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

end my breaker points dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Old Blue '58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default end my breaker points dilemma

Any advice on where to get them?
I've had very poor results with several purchased at the chain parts houses.

Subject vehicle is 1970 W300 318CID.
Ever since I decided to preemptively avoid reliability by replacing the original distributor, I have actually made the vehicle unreliable. The problem is points that simply do not last. Have had issues with rubbing blocks that wear down so fast that correct dwell cannot be maintained as well as problems with the contacts wearing/burning quickly causing a host of running problems.

Surely there's a source for decent quality points that aren't made off chinese cheese. Hopefully USA manufacture.
Any tips?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Ditch the ancient points set up and get a electronic ignition set up from mopar performance. It comes with everything you need to do the conversion.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Old Blue '58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice. I know about modern upgrades such as ignition and induction, but am not interested in any of that for a couple of reasons. Firstly I rather like the quaint simplicity of old tractor technology in the points based system and know for a fact that decent quality points will go much longer than the ~2 weeks it takes these cheese parts to go to 40*+ in dwell... in fact good points will keep tune for a year or more. The BBD is also not on par with fuel injection systems, but again- I kinda like the old school.
Reason two is I have an all mechanical 6BT that will repower the truck sometime this fall so I don't want to invest in conversions on the small block.

I was hoping there'd be some knowledge of where to get quality parts for factory service.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I suspect your only real option is to see if the parts store can get a different brand of parts.... maybe a touch of 3 in 1 oil on the cam in the dist as well. Have you replaced the condenser along with the points? If that goes bad, it'll eat the contacts fairly quickly.

Quick Reply: end my breaker points dilemma