Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Lorrie Van Haul needs a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM
JCAllison
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lorrie Van Haul needs a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box

Hey All,
It has been some time since I last visited. Am calling on all the Dodge Resources in search of a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box.

Have contacted Daniel Foster at RedHead Steering Gears. See HERE:

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Have contacted Kal Uthe at Lares Corporation. See HERE:

https://www.larescorp.com/about-lares/

Have contacted Mark at Straight Line Steering, Inc. See HERE:

http://www.straightlinesteering.com/Home%20page.htm

Have been in touch with innumerable sources of Steering Gear Boxes, but have not, as yet been able to find a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box.

For those of you who don't know who Lorrie Van Haul is, see HERE:

http://www.allisonwonderlandcls.webs...aul/home02.htm

Am also going to post a couple of JPGs of Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box.

Any information, leads, assistance, or whatever would be greatly appreciated by both Lorrie Van Haul, and myself.

Hope this finds YOU all doing well, and taking excellent care.

JCAllison

Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

That is going to be fun to find...... Since you have a slant six, a motor that was VERY common, back in the day..... bracketry and such for a power steering pump would likely be findable..... Grafting some other variety of RHD power steering box in there though, that would be interesting....

Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That is going to be fun to find.
Hey Mr. HY,
It's all part of the "Old Car Hobby!

Since you have a slant six, a motor that was VERY common, back in the day..... bracketry and such for a power steering pump would likely be findable.
It is. AND EXPENSIVE!

Grafting some other variety of RHD power steering box in there though, that would be interesting....
AND, I'm afraid, a bit beyond not only my technology, but also beyond my energy&focus. Am going to be 80 years old this coming January, and am not as agile, or strong as I once was. Am hoping to find a Gemmer Y4D RHD Manual Steering Gear Box which would make it easy peasy to just uninstall, and reinstall.

Will let you know how it goes, if and when it goes!

Thanks for the response.

JC

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yeah, I did some searching, and came up with a big, fat, goose egg..... Some mentions of them, (and most of them are from threads you started elsewhere, for the same purpose. ) but, that's it. They have been out of production for quite some time now, and I don't think the original manufacturer even exists anymore.

There is usually two adjustment points on a steering box, have you tried both?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I did some searching, and came up with a big, fat, goose egg..... Some mentions of them, (and most of them are from threads you started elsewhere, for the same purpose. ) but, that's it. They have been out of production for quite some time now, and I don't think the original manufacturer even exists anymore.
Hey Mr. HY,
Gemmer was bought by Ross. Since then BOTH have gone out of business. Even replacement parts either OEM, NOS, or RePop seem to be nonexistent.

Nonetheless, sent the following Query to Straight Line Steering, Inc. in San Jose, California:
Hey Straight Line Steering, Inc.,
I am JC Allison, caretaker of Lorrie Van Haul, the ONLY known surviving 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle out of 3,500 built. See HERE:

http://www.allisonwonderlandcls.webs...aul/home02.htm

Lorrie is in need of a RHD Manual Steering Gear Box.

The 1967-1968 Dodge Truck Factory Service Manual lists a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box as being what is used in the 1967 Dodge P200, P300, P400, D400, D500-600-700, and PD500-600.

It also lists a Gemmer Y5D-375 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box as being used in the 1967 Dodge D500, D600 and PD600.

Here is the situation:

Have contacted Daniel Foster at RedHead Steering Gears. Daniel says he cannot find Bearings, Bushing, Seals, or Gaskets to rebuild Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box.

Have contacted Kal Uthe at Lares Corporation, and Kal says that they can "most likely" rebuild the Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box, but if they can't, it would mean that Lorrie Van Haul would be for all intents and purposed DEAD.

Am a member at the Slant Six Forum, and one of the other poster there recommended that I get in touch with YOU to see if you might be able to help Lorrie.

Have not yet taken Lorrie's Steering Gear Box out, and don't know if the Gemmer Y4D-335 has a Long or Short Shaft, nor have I seen any Casting or Stamped Numbers on the Unit, but have taken some JPGs of Lorrie's Unit, and am attaching them to this E-Mail.

Am planning on doing a COMPLETE Front Suspension, and Steering System rebuild on Lorrie in November. Am trying to get everything set up to do that at this time.

Would you happen to have a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box? If you do, how much would it cost?

If you don't, would a Gemmer Y5D RHD Manual Steering Gear Box be a replacement for the Y4D-335? If it would, and you have one, how much would it cost?

If you have neither, would you be able to rebuild Lorrie's Gemmer Y4D RHD Manual Steering Gear Box? And if you can, how much would it cost?

If you can't, would you perchance have the Bearings, Bushing, Seals, and Gaskets to do a rebuild? And if you do, how much would they cost?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Am looking forward to your reply. Hope this finds YOU doing well.

Take care,
JCAllison

Received the following response from Ralph at Straight Line Steering, Inc.:
Hello, I can rebuild yours $695.00 I have rebuilt them in the past.
the rebuild will included new worm gear,roller.race cups,thrust bearings,sector seal,
3 day lead time once we received core,
Thank you,
Ralph

There is usually two adjustment points on a steering box, have you tried both?
No. Have only adjusted the Sector Shaft Adjustment, as the OTHER adjustment would entail taking the Unit out of the Vehicle which is out of the question at this time.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do the searching. It is much appreciated.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.
JC

Quick Reply: Lorrie Van Haul needs a Gemmer Y4D-335 RHD Manual Steering Gear Box