Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1985 OBD port? And Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:34 AM
Thom1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 OBD port? And Hello!

Hi all this is my first post and introduction I guess. I have a 1985 D150 that just rolled 26k original miles! It's like a time machine except for a crummy paint job the second owner did himself. Yep, no experience and some really bad paint used. Other than that It's awesome.

My question is on this truck (with the slant 6 and 4 speed manual), is there an OBD port? My back is so shot from surgeries and degenerative discs (courtesy of a drunk, no license and of course no insurance driver) thats a whole other story, that I can't get under the dash to look. It's so old that I thought maybe it might be in the motor cavity? I just got the truck so I have not got a Chiltons yet.

If there is one any help with the location would be great!

Great to be here!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

From what I have read, OBD port is under the hood on the drivers side fender towards the corner. Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 AM
Thom1

Thanks jkeaton! It must be OBD1 I would assume.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes. OBD2 did not start until 1996.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:53 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom1
Hi all this is my first post and introduction I guess. I have a 1985 D150 that just rolled 26k original miles! It's like a time machine except for a crummy paint job the second owner did himself. Yep, no experience and some really bad paint used. Other than that It's awesome.

My question is on this truck (with the slant 6 and 4 speed manual), is there an OBD port? My back is so shot from surgeries and degenerative discs (courtesy of a drunk, no license and of course no insurance driver) thats a whole other story, that I can't get under the dash to look. It's so old that I thought maybe it might be in the motor cavity? I just got the truck so I have not got a Chiltons yet.

If there is one any help with the location would be great!

Great to be here!

OBD I came out around 1988 with the advent of fuel injection.Don't bother with a Chiltons. They aren't much good anymore. Get a Haynes. It will cover from 1972 to 1993. Haynes bought Chiltons years ago. What sort of problems are you having with the truck?

The following users liked this post:
volaredon (06-14-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 PM
Thom1

Boy do I get back to people fast…lol Sorry about that ol' grouch. There was nothing wrong with the truck that I knew of I wanted to see if it would show any info if it had an OBD port which it doesn't. Let me ask you a question if you don't mind, the truck did not come with air-conditioning so how hard do you think it would be to put air conditioning in it since I live in a state where it gets in the hundreds with high humidity I could definitely use air. I have thought about add on air systems but they are so expensive.

Thanks and hope you are doing well with all the bulls*t going on since you answered my question.

Thom

Old 03-29-2021, 07:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Boy do I get back to people fast…lol Sorry about that ol' grouch. There was nothing wrong with the truck that I knew of I wanted to see if it would show any info if it had an OBD port which it doesn't. Let me ask you a question if you don't mind, the truck did not come with air-conditioning so how hard do you think it would be to put air conditioning in it since I live in a state where it gets in the hundreds with high humidity I could definitely use air. I have thought about add on air systems but they are so expensive.

Thanks and hope you are doing well with all the bulls*t going on since you answered my question.

Thom

I'd look into a Street Rod HAVC system. Chrysler used an under dash setup from the factory in the late 50's. I had a '59 Dodge Royal with an underdash unit as stock. Furd did the same thing on a '62 Galaxie XL I had once. I had a '73 Duster with the add on factory unit under the dash and the Mopar units were one size fits all. The one in my Duster was the same as one in a full sized wagon. If the drains got a little stopped up, it would shoot ice out the front. Moisture would condense on the roof. I'd go with an under dash a/c only unit for street rods. The small size of the cab and it should work just fine. It'll be R-134 so you won't have to convert it. I live 3 miles from the Ohio river. The humidity in the river valley has to be experienced to be believed. We rarely get to 100 as the sun can't heat that much water up.

As for what's going on, Covid (yes, I've had it) is nothing compared to Afib. That put me in the cardiac unit for 2 weeks a few years back. I'm closing in on retirement after 50 years of working with S***heads. The difficult people here and in politics are amateurs compared to the pros I've had to deal with on a daily basis.

Since you're not looking for original, you'll be happy with the add on street rod unit.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 03-29-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Thom1

Thanks ol'grouch, I'll start checking them out and unfortunately someone to install it! I used to do most of the work on my cars and wish so very badly I could now. By the way, I think you and I have some things in common lol. Oh man do I know about working for and with SH*THEADS. I started working in tool and die shops in and around Detroit when I was 15 and have had my share unfortunately and mean a*ss people as well with a kill or be killed attitude and I hated every minute of it. I can't believe you had a 59 Dodge Royal thats one of my fave of the tail fin cars and I have a feeling It's hard to find one in any condition. I grew up about 2 miles from the headquarters of Chrysler in Auburn Hills Michigan (it was a 900 acre horse farm when I was a kid) and my dad worked for Pontiac motors for 32+ years and we never had a Pontiac in the driveway it was always some other brand but always a Dodge truck, he loved them and I did and do too.

Good luck to you and I take it the "Afib" unfortunately stands for "Atrial fibrillation" so I hope you enjoy a long retirement.

Thom

Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Thanks ol'grouch, I'll start checking them out and unfortunately someone to install it! I used to do most of the work on my cars and wish so very badly I could now. By the way, I think you and I have some things in common lol. Oh man do I know about working for and with SH*THEADS. I started working in tool and die shops in and around Detroit when I was 15 and have had my share unfortunately and mean a*ss people as well with a kill or be killed attitude and I hated every minute of it. I can't believe you had a 59 Dodge Royal thats one of my fave of the tail fin cars and I have a feeling It's hard to find one in any condition. I grew up about 2 miles from the headquarters of Chrysler in Auburn Hills Michigan (it was a 900 acre horse farm when I was a kid) and my dad worked for Pontiac motors for 32+ years and we never had a Pontiac in the driveway it was always some other brand but always a Dodge truck, he loved them and I did and do too.

Good luck to you and I take it the "Afib" unfortunately stands for "Atrial fibrillation" so I hope you enjoy a long retirement.

Thom

I deal with all sorts. I've been cussed out by Russian truck drivers. They get real polite when I cuss them back in Russian. My '59 was a well equipped car. I looked it up after I got it. The car was $2500, but the a/c added $1100. 50% price option and now a/c is standard. As for Afib, yes, it was atrial fibrillation. It was brought on by pneumonia and blood septicemia. I flat lined the first night in the hospital.It will get your attention when you wake up to a room full of people with more piling in.

I figure I've got 20 good years left in me. Possibly a few more that I'll totter along. We can't know what time we have so I intend to do something I enjoy. The GF and I have had words as she's making plans for me.My life has been ruled by the clock. I intend to just mooch around for a couple of months. THEN, I'll look for a part time job.

Quick Reply: 1985 OBD port? And Hello!