Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1973 Dodge W200 brake/Axle issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 PM
Mopar360 v8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1973 Dodge W200 brake/Axle issue

Hello,
Background:
I have a 1973 Dodge W200 (3/4 ton, 5.9L v8, rear and front brake drums). Two years ago i switched every component in the rear drums (pads, drums, cylinders, adjuster screw; master cylinder). Ever since I replaced those parts, I have had overheating problems and occasional noise. For the duration of the two years I have switched parts and attempted to fix it. The left rear drum still gets slightly warmer than the rear right, however it no longer sticks or is massively hotter than the rest of the wheels. I've had no issue with the front brakes since I replaced them. The bearings are not brand new, but both inner and outer are in good shape and greased.

Problem:
The left rear brake drum(drive tire) gets slightly warmer than the right rear. When I lifted the rear axle, I found that in drive, the drive tire begins accelerating for a second then completely stops, the power is transferred to the right tire. The right tire moves forward, as if the axle had a limited slip diff (but it has an open). When the brake is applied, the right tire stops and the drive tire accelerates to what the right tire was (no amount of brake slows it).
In neutral, brake or no brake, the right tire accelerates.
And the braking feels pretty good on the road...

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Readjust the rear brakes.

Quick Reply: 1973 Dodge W200 brake/Axle issue