Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

Help!!! 65 d100

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Adrianw94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!!! 65 d100

Okay so first off if this post is in the wrong place please let me know. Also sorry for so this post for being so long and so my questions.

Alright so my grandfather gave me his old D100 back about 10 years ago and its pretty much sat ever since. He's always loved the truck and been sorta disappointed that I never did anything with the truck so i was gonna make a custom truck outta it. It's a long wheel base, slant 6, and a 3 on the tree. Frame seems to be solid but the floorboards are gone, gas tank is full of rust, dents all over the place, and the bed is rusted so bad its falling off. I always absolutely hated the long wheel base so I was wondering if I could "chop" the frame to make it a short wheel base? I'm a pretty good welder and have had my fare share of fab work so i'm pretty sure I can do this, plus I have a shop with a lift. I won't be putting a factory bed on the truck after i do this either(plan to build one). Okay so here's my plans(please feel free to shoot holes in it if they don't make sense or if theirs an easier way to do them). I plan to "chop" the frame, shorten drive shaft, completely redo the brake system, take the slant 6 out and build a big block to put back in it with the trans and rear end to go with it, move the shiftier to the floor, replace bench seat with bucket seats, and then finish it off with a custom bed. Any advice? Where do i cut? What big block should i use? I don't mind to drop a little extra on the motor and trans. This is a long term project and I'll be doing almost all the machining, welding, and wrenching myself.

Thanks Adrian

Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Anything can be done with enough time and money. What kind of "custom" bed did you have in mind? Usually the "chop" is between the back of the cab and before the rear axle. I would box the frame also if you plan on a big block. Maybe modern hemi would be an option. ???

Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I like the idea of the modern hemi. You can buy complete drop-in packages from Mopar.... complete with engine, trans, and all the electronics to run them. That would be neat.

That said, a 440 would look really good under the hood as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Adrianw94

Originally Posted by Moparite
Anything can be done with enough time and money. What kind of "custom" bed did you have in mind? Usually the "chop" is between the back of the cab and before the rear axle. I would box the frame also if you plan on a big block. Maybe modern hemi would be an option. ???
I own a sawmill so I had planned on building one out of wood. And I'm not talking a few boards but something that looks good, just sorta want something that is unique.

From talking to a few guys I know I can get a 440 BB pretty easily. I want to build the entire motor from the block up. Hemi would be cool but I can't spend that much money on just a motor

Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Adrianw94

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I like the idea of the modern hemi. You can buy complete drop-in packages from Mopar.... complete with engine, trans, and all the electronics to run them. That would be neat.

That said, a 440 would look really good under the hood as well.
I think I'm gonna try to build a 440

Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I want to build the entire motor from the block up.
In that case look for a pre 1970 engine. After 70 the forged cracks went buy buy for the most part. Unless you plan on putting all the good stuff in it outright. Definitely replace the timing chain/gears, Chrysler used plastic coated gears back then and over time the plastic breaks off and you will find it in the pick up screen. Get heads with hardened valve seats, Using them with today's(no lead) gas the valves will wear into the head. Chrysler didn't start with hardened seats until about 71-2. You might want to think about replacing the rear in the truck also. A 9 1/4 would be a good candidate.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Adrianw94

Originally Posted by Moparite
In that case look for a pre 1970 engine. After 70 the forged cracks went buy buy for the most part. Unless you plan on putting all the good stuff in it outright. Definitely replace the timing chain/gears, Chrysler used plastic coated gears back then and over time the plastic breaks off and you will find it in the pick up screen. Get heads with hardened valve seats, Using them with today's(no lead) gas the valves will wear into the head. Chrysler didn't start with hardened seats until about 71-2. You might want to think about replacing the rear in the truck also. A 9 1/4 would be a good candidate.
Okay thanks guys! I’ll post here again if I have anymore questions

Old 06-29-2019, 08:05 PM
drummerdad
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently cut down a long bed frame to a short bed for my sons truck. Its a chore, but do-able. We went overkill by boxing and plating for strength just to be safe. I dont want to break forum rules, but there is a forum more specific to these truck where the frame shortening discussion has happened ad-naseaum. As for the brakes, it might depend on if you are sticking with the solid front axle, or upgrading. Discs for the rear, for either the 8-3/4" or the dana 60, will be easy.

At first I thought you were going to ask if the long bed could be shortened. Rumor has it someone has successfully pulled it off before. I havent seen it though.

Quick Reply: Help!!! 65 d100