Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

1979 D100 restore/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Adam Van Wagenen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 D100 restore/upgrade

I am working on my '79 D100 Custom 318 RWD and I have been trying to figure out why the rear shocks are mounted at an angle, and what the best way is to upgrade the suspension to install the shocks closer to vertical. I have done some research into shocks and the preferred install would be vertical with a slight forward tilt and as close to the wheels as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Van Wagenen
I am working on my '79 D100 Custom 318 RWD and I have been trying to figure out why the rear shocks are mounted at an angle, and what the best way is to upgrade the suspension to install the shocks closer to vertical. I have done some research into shocks and the preferred install would be vertical with a slight forward tilt and as close to the wheels as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

If I remember the way they are mounted, it's to minimize rear axle torque under load from the engine. Dodge kept it like that for many years as it's effective.

Quick Reply: 1979 D100 restore/upgrade