Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

EXHAUST LEAK???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 AM
badassdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST LEAK???

Ok, there is this ticking noise towards the front of my truck, and it only ticks when i start the truck or when I accelerate. Itturns out to be an exhaust leak on my manifold. They told me it would cost about $600 to fix. I was wondering is that about right, or are they just trying to rip me off??

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Billiam
Champion
Default RE: EXHAUST LEAK???

I'd pop the hood and take a look see. If its something you can do, do it. I've seen it happen a bolt comes loose, and just needs tightened.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
United1
Professional

What engine? The first gen Durango's, 4.7, have a tendency to snap exhaust manifold studs, causing an exhaust leak.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:40 AM
badassdodge

ya i have a 4.7 engine, its for the second generation dakotas. and i think they said that the manifold snapped but im not sure, im just a girl, i have no clue what they are talking about

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

If it were me, I'd just go back through it. Find some stainless bolt/studs whatever it uses. Get some Copper RTV to lightly coat the gaskets and put new stuff on all the way around. But, I'm ****.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can fix it yourself pretty easily. I have had both sides leak at one point or another. It was the rearmost manifold bolts broke on both occasions. The manifold bolts are metric and 8x1.25 at about 60mm long.

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the heat shield. The manifold studs are 10mm for the inners and 13mm for the ones on the end. You likely don't even have to remove the manifold. On both occasions when the rear studs on mine broke, there was enough still stiking out that I could grab it with my fingers and turn it out by hand. Then just put in the new bolt and tighten.

I spent $3 on replacement hardened bolts at the hardware store and took 30 minutes to fix...

Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 AM
badassdodge

Hey thanks....I just needed a new gasket. It was broken in half, and the studs were broken. You were right. The muffler shop said it would cost $600 to fix, because they had to drop the engine. I just took the passenger tire off and worked from the side lol. I just save $583. because it cost me$17 total to fix lol.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Billiam
Champion

See look, the money you saved can go for some mods....

Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I never even replaced the gasket on mine.. I just pulled out the broken bolt, put in the new one and torqued it down. Problem solved....

Either way glad it worked for you. Always nice to fix things on the cheap.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST LEAK???