Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Dakota Production Ends... But is it the End of an Era?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM
trippin_trepid
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think EVERY corporation is caught up in the drive for cost savings instead of making cool **** that people WANT to buy. i think chrysler's just a little late to the game then the rest, as usual. i just dont get why they dropped the whole "platform", when instead they could've just stuffed they're new 3.6L V6 in it. maybe give the interior an update like what the did with the 200/avenger. there was still plenty of potensial with the dakota, unfortunately the italians disagree. so now they gotta spend all the money in r & d in a completly new model that will perform just as good or if not a wee bit better than the dakota. smh.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
itselliott
Default end of the Dakota

Aside from the quirky electronics (blower motor resistor and body timer module).
my 2001 Dakota has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

I just "offed" my 2003 Ram 2500,....total junk by comparison....Not comparable as to work load tho.

At first, when I couldn't get a 318 engine and had to "settle for the 4.7L"
I was not happy. After all the 318 had been my engine of choice for 25 years.

But I am really going to miss the mid size truck option and the 4.7L in a very dependable truck.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
marlsrsoftball
Default Don't Get Rid of the Dakota

I really love my 2008 Dakota Sport Truck. Bought it used with 12K miles on it a year and a half ago. I have had Dakotas since they were first manufactured when they were a little smaller.

Just don't like the big size of the Ram.

I hope they have a replacement by the time I am ready to trade mine in otherwise I guess I will have to actually keep a truck more than 2 yrs and but a new set of tires for the first time in many years.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Mickey_Moose
Unhappy

You can add me to the list of people that would hate to see the Dakota go. While I understand the position, I do not want a full size truck and a 'Ranger' size truck is too small.

Hopefully my 2003 will keep on going for several more years (that or buy a new one)...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
kayakman
Veteran
Default Replace the Dakota

As a former owner of a 1991 -extended cab - V8. Replace the Dakota! I traded my Dakota for a 1998 quad cab Ram because I need the room. I still have have the Ram but will be soon replacing it. Now all I new is the size of a Dakota. My wife loved that Dakota and was very reliable unit with no problems and it towed a small 5th wheel trailer.

Ford world wide has replaced it's Ranger with what looks like a great little unit and GM has as well but both are not for the North American market.

Here in Canada we are paying close to or more than $6.00 per imperial gallon. I don't care what the big 3 do with their fill size trucks fuel mileage is low.

I think the Dakota should come back in some form, where's that SPARK we all know is still there in Mopar!!

Cheers
Kayakman

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Nitecop

of course the sales dropped, the MPG was the same as a larger truck that had 100HP more. that is no surprise to me in the least.
IF you want to sell a lot of trucks here is what you do,
Shrink it slightly YES make it like no one else makes a truck right now. shrink it to the size of a 1987 Dodge Dakota and install a 2.8 Diesel (Jeep liberty??) and make it a smaller 35 MPG truck. I do like the style and shape of the current Dakota.
Do not hesitate. $4 per gallon fuel wil force you to this later if you wait.
Be the first, not the LAST AS USUAL.

I'll buy one,... as long as I can get one with a manual trans.
I do NOT buy vehicles with slush box transmissions.

The truth hurts but someone has to say it to get you guys to move.

Last edited by Nitecop; 09-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 PM
jrzy211
Default Dakota Gone?

The sales for the dakotas are not nearly as good as they have been in the past but man they are still better then the tocoma, were all doge fans here and now we letting the slanted eye company take full advantage of the mid size (compact trucks) bc there is no competition out there, ill tell you what my 1st truck was a 5.2l v8 4x4 5 speed best truck i ever had till my wife (gf at the time caused an accident) then i went to the 3.9l v6 auto ext cab great on gas made mannnnnny trips back and forth from VA to NJ ended up selling it at 220,000 miles and let me tell you that was 2 years ago and i just seen it driving around last week and the guy that has it said he has done nothing to it now with 311k WOW! I had 2 in between them and currently own another just like the 3.9 but this is 4 door and looks exactly like it . I do have a 1500 hemi i love but once your a dokata person you'll for ever have one. This totally sucks ***** that dodge is getting rid of the dakota, if anything i agree with the rest give it a break like you did with the rango....bring it back all beffy looking look how the durango hit huge at least here in NJ ppl love these things and i feel if you do the same to the dakota it will be just as much of a hit if not better. Not to mention growing up i seen the dakota and durango as brother sister vehicles you can have one and not the other just saying

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM
racoon
Default I vote to merge Dakota with Ram 1500

I would like to see the Dakota merge with a regaging of the Ram 1500 1/2 ton series and approach the proportions of the Durango 76" width rather than long standing 79" width; thus picking up the Dakota market. I beleive this would resize the 1/2 ton pickup to a pre early 60's size. Taking styling cutes from the Durango would help also. Dodge has been inventive to create new segments. The Dakota has been inefficient on interior dimensions, and should be increased in all directions, but mostly the width. My '05 Durango has the same exterior width but is wider on the interior, versus the Dakota. For me, a pickup that is like the Durango would be great. 2 cents.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM
REMDODGE1500

guys listen to this my dad had a 87 dakota i had a 2001 and my brother is currently driving a 96 model we all have put well over 100000 miles on them and from a family of mopar fanitics i think the problem started when dodge started putting that PEICE OF CRAP 3.7 motor in the trucks period!!!! I can talk cause all trucks listed above had the bad 3.9 liter now that is the best v6 motor around!!!!i know that is why i have not bougth another dakota the v8 are great but for best allround power and millage 3.9 all the way. i think mopar is stupid for geting rid of the dakotas but i also think mopar was stupid for switching motors. the dakotas are the best all around midsize truck my 2001 i had i pulled trailers campers boats and a two horse trailer with two horses in it great truck was proud to own it my dad did the same and drove his for 12 years GREAT TRUCK .MY BROTHER the same had his for five years not problem. i wish mopar would second guess them selves about getting rid of the mini ram but like i said i would buy another dokota in a heart beat if the 3.9 was back

Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 AM
trippin_trepid
Amateur

Originally Posted by jrzy211
The sales for the dakotas are not nearly as good as they have been in the past but man they are still better then the tocoma, were all doge fans here and now we letting the slanted eye company take full advantage of the mid size (compact trucks) bc there is no competition out there, ill tell you what my 1st truck was a 5.2l v8 4x4 5 speed best truck i ever had till my wife (gf at the time caused an accident) then i went to the 3.9l v6 auto ext cab great on gas made mannnnnny trips back and forth from VA to NJ ended up selling it at 220,000 miles and let me tell you that was 2 years ago and i just seen it driving around last week and the guy that has it said he has done nothing to it now with 311k WOW! I had 2 in between them and currently own another just like the 3.9 but this is 4 door and looks exactly like it . I do have a 1500 hemi i love but once your a dokata person you'll for ever have one. This totally sucks ***** that dodge is getting rid of the dakota, if anything i agree with the rest give it a break like you did with the rango....bring it back all beffy looking look how the durango hit huge at least here in NJ ppl love these things and i feel if you do the same to the dakota it will be just as much of a hit if not better. Not to mention growing up i seen the dakota and durango as brother sister vehicles you can have one and not the other just saying
there ya go! ARE YOU LISTENING MARCHIONNE!?!?!?! the people have spoken! time to give the people what they want!!!!

Quick Reply: Dakota Production Ends... But is it the End of an Era?