Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

1998 Dakota parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
barnharj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dakota parking brake adjustment

All of a sudden it seems my parking brake is not adjusted, the peddle goes almost to the floor. I find no adjustment on the cabling? Does the assy need to be replaced to repair?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are your rear brakes properly adjusted? If they aren't, that can cause the problem you're describing. They're self-adjusting, but it's not uncommon for the adjusters to seize up, or somebody put them in backwards, or they don't work for some other reason.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 AM
barnharj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, This really wasn't a gradual happening. I had been laid up since April and hadn't driven my Dakota for3 months. Then when I got back on my feet I don't remember it being any different. a Couple of weeks later I ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks. I didn't drive then for almost another three weeks. That is when I noticed that the parking brake is not working properly. I had thought about the self adjusters, when I changed the rear brakes about 2 years ago I replaced everything and made sure they were lubed properly.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dakota parking brake adjustment