Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Magnum v8

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 AM
coldrice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum v8

Any idea why some v8s are called magnum on the back of the truck and some are not? I'm pretty sure there is no difference, but you never know. I drove an slt yesterday just to feel how it drives, but I'm looking at a trx4 several hundred miles away that states it's a v8 "magnum". Thanks.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 351 Likes on 330 Posts

The "magnum" was a rename/upgrade of the LA small block along with the other engines that happened in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LA_engine

Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 AM
coldrice

What is strange though is that both trucks are '08. Why designate one as magnum and one as just v8?
Originally Posted by Moparite
The "magnum" was a rename/upgrade of the LA small block along with the other engines that happened in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LA_engine

Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts
Old 08-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
This. The last magnum in a Dakota was 02 I believe. After that they were all powertech. Just like when they redaged the 3rd gen as an r/t packagem lmao, there wasn't anything r/t about it. Or the rumble bee Dakota.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 AM
coldrice

So I guess they just kept putting the magnum plate under v8 because they had several years worth left at the factory. And it sounds cool.
Originally Posted by Toby Warford
This. The last magnum in a Dakota was 02 I believe. After that they were all powertech. Just like when they redaged the 3rd gen as an r/t packagem lmao, there wasn't anything r/t about it. Or the rumble bee Dakota.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coldrice
So I guess they just kept putting the magnum plate under v8 because they had several years worth left at the factory. And it sounds cool.
No, it was all for marketing to get yesterday's generation to buy a new truck with a name they're familiar with. The trucks that had real magnums in them have completely different badges then what third gens with powertech engines labeled "Magnum" do.

Quick Reply: Magnum v8