Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Refinishing hazy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006 | 10:28 PM
Bucs Fan
Default Refinishing hazy headlights

If you have hazy, clouded headlights, like I had on my 93 Dakota, this refinishing process seemed to work out pretty well. I started with 200 grit sandpaper and scrubbed both headlights, twice. I followed that up with 2 wet sandings each of 400, 800, 1000, and 1500. After that, I put on 2 coats of Meguiars ScratchX followed by 2 coats of Meguiars PlastiX. I can only upload the completed picture, but anyone that owns an older model Dodge can imagine how bad they were after 115,000 miles. I might actually be able to see at night again. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2006 | 10:47 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Default RE: Refinishing hazy headlights

Yea, I just had my driver side headlamp assembly replaced after an accident, and can tell the differance (my old ones weren't bad at all, but I can tell the differance on the old passenger side one thats still on). I'm gonna clean up the passenger side on prob. next weekend.
Can't help but notice the DoD sticker on the windshield.. what base are ya at?

Old 09-25-2006 | 05:41 PM
F1ashman

The new "PowerBall" full size and Meguiars plastic cleaner makes short work of cleaning headlights. Use a variable speed electric drill instead of a rechargeable one. 100,000- miles of haze and yellowing gone in 5 minutes per headlight cover. Took more time taping the surrounding area than the actual cleaning. Thinking Liquid Glass as a topcoat might prevent this from happening again. Thoughts??

Old 09-25-2006 | 06:32 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i heard that the best way to prevent it once cleaned is a thick spray of clear coat. you can get a rattle can of it from any parts store or paint store. i havent done it personally so i dont know, but in theory it would work.

Quick Reply: Refinishing hazy headlights