Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

86 turbo z acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM
sodomizer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 turbo z acting strange

Hi, I am 18 and have just bought my first car I can be proud of. It's an 86 daytona turbo z with strange, obviously fake, special edition tags on it. I got it at an auction for 950$ canadian. It has a beautiful body with little to no rust and a good paint job.

Well, now for the problem. When i floor it in the lower rpms (1500 - 3000) it jerks the car really hard until i let off the gas. I can punch it near the redline with little problems, but it still does jerk sometimes. It runs normally when I don't put the pedal to the floor, witch is a good thing. Also, its giving me 15 psi boost. I don't think thats stock.

Iam not very good with turbos, and I am an amature mechanic, so any advise or help is much apreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:03 AM
fireyice01
Default RE: 86 turbo z acting strange

From the description you are giving it sounds to me like torque steer. I don't know about your car, being a couple years older than mine, but my driveshafts are not equal lengths. What happens is that when you really romp on the pedal, it grabs really hard, and pulls the car one direction or the other (I believe it's towards the shorter shaft, but don't know for sure, as I just got my car to start for the first time since I got it on wednesday (go figure if the cam is out of time, the plug wires are on the wrong plugs and the distributor's 180 out, the thing won't start) and I have no front seats to take it for any kind of drive... someone may have to correct me on that... but I'm pretty sure it would be jerking to the left?

Old 10-04-2004, 04:27 AM
sodomizer

That could be it, but when it jerks it not only pulls it a littie, but it also feels like my engine stops for a split second. It dosn't literal stop but its enough to smack ur head on the dash. Its the feeling u get when u drop the clutch and stall the car. I will definately look into torque steer tho, thanks.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:02 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several things that could be the cause of this. First check for codes, if you do not know how to check for codes or if you need the list of codes, here is a link to all of the information on this: http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/

Your problem could be fuel or ignition related, these are highly likely.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:00 PM
sodomizer

I did some error codes and it turns i get acouple of stupid ones about my AC, witch i don't have and one about overboost shutoff circuit. This must be the problem, but i have no idea what to do or where to start.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

That sounds like your culprit. You might try either getting a manual from Auto Zone or checking with your local Dodge dealership and asking someone in the service department or parts department where it is located and pricing on the parts to fix it. They should be able to print you out a diagram and everything.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

It could be your MAP sensor. It caused my car to hit overboost. I encourage you to join www.turbododge.com There are good guys on this board, but not nearly the amassed turbo knowledge that is there. Post pics of your tona if possible. 1st generation Daytonas are my favorite!

Old 10-07-2004, 03:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

My favorite are the true 1st gens, the '69 winged warriors.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

My favorite are the true 1st gens, the '69 winged warriors.
haha, true, true, if I could pick up a mint '69 for $3000, I'd be all over that, but I can't and this is the g-body section I think that some Musclecar Mopar brats would take offense to me saying that these Daytonas are the same lineage as theirs. I'm fine with that - these will most always be faster than theirs *grin*

Old 11-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Black Sidestep

sounds like your hitting fuel cut. this means your maxxing out your injectors probably because you are running 15psi of boost on probably a stock/untuned fuel system. can you do a full throttle pull from about 3k ot the redline without that jerking happening?
look at trimming your boost back down to stock levels and seeing if that helps. you may have a leak in/on one of the vacum lines on or dealing with the turbo, letting it hit 15psi.

Quick Reply: 86 turbo z acting strange