Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Engine swap?

Old 10-08-2004, 02:52 AM
Ezekiel duck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap?

Hello, i am new to the forum, and I have a 1985 chrysler laser, 5 spd 2.2 non turbo and it has been in the family since its birth. I drive it daily and would like to do an engine swap. I want a newer DOHC engine, while maintaining good gas mileage.(student) I was wondering if anyone here new of any fairly compatible engines i could get.

I have been reading a lot about 1998 and newer neon 2.0 DOHC engines, i thought it would work nicely, but i do not know for sure.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
fireyice01
Default RE: Engine swap?

I'm not totally sure if this is accurate, but I believe that the Laser either had a 420a or a mitsubishi 4g63t in it (420a non turbo's and 4g63t turbos)

You'll have to check into that, but if correct, then you should be able to swap a newwer neon motor for the 420a or a newwer eclipse motor for the 4g63... in theory... hope that helps to give you a starting point.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:06 AM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

You can make your engine DOHC fairly simply - the head bolts onto your engine with only minor mods. Turboing it is also an option. Seeing as your car came with a turbo as an option in 85, everything there would be plug and play. www.turbododge.com will help you out with both options. Hybrid section is where you can see about that head. Its been talked about tons of times, just do a search there.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Ezekiel duck

Would doing the neon DOHC engine be really complicated, like changing mounts and electrical stuff. I am kinda looking for an easier swap, but if that is not an option, then so be it.

Does anyone have experience with a fairly easy, compatible swap with a more bolt on approach?

Old 10-10-2004, 11:02 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

No engine mount changes IF you used your existing block (or if you had to upgrade to a commonblock). If you went to a full neon setup, the changes would be extensive. There may be some electrical, but very minor - coolant temp sensor is the only one that really comes to mind that would need changing.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:31 PM
casper
Legend

why would you want to swap from a 2.2 to a 2.0. You would be much better off pulling the motor you have and "sevicing it". Have the heads done, bore the block, new pistons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap?