Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Buying a Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM
MoparNooB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a Daytona

I found an '87 Pacifica in my area for $1900. Being sold at a dealership, just over 100k, flawless interior and exterior, *******ly NO rust.

If i buy this car, i wast to get every bit of performance i can out of it.

This site sell turbo upgrades for it:
http://www.turbochargerengineering.c...&category_ID=5

where would i find things like upgraded fuel systems, FMI's, BOV's, anything specific to building up the motor, and what should i put into it to make the motor handle the bigger turbo.

(planning to buy the TE-360, for 260hp)

Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM
MNmopar
Default re

Try going to fwd performance, turbos unleashed and forward motion.

They have tons of parts for our cars.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 AM
R/Tona

Excellent advice! Those are the best places to start for our beloved G-bodies. Also check in with Wallace at Lonewolf Performance. Great and knowledgeable guy.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Congratulations if you buy it.

Now, a word of caution. These little cars tear themselves apart when you turn 'em up. I've smoked 2 engines, 2 turbos and 3 transmissions in my '87 Shelby, along with more C.V. halfshafts than I care to count, lower ball joints ripped from control arms, etc.

They're fun, but be ready for one catastrophic failure after another if you start trying to push the 300 HP mark and higher.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 PM
MNmopar
Default re

I don't know about that...

If you have engine monitoring systems in place, and the engine is centered correctly, 300 horse is not a problem at all.

There are 100's of turbo dodge's running over 300 horse. Don't be scared off, seriously.

Now, can you just take a stock car and crank up the boost without doing anything else and expect it to hold? No. But if you do a little research on how you need to build it, you won't have any problems at all.

I know people that have well over 400 horsepower and have no problems with their cv's... or blowing engines.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM
R/Tona

I tend to agree with MNmopar. As long as you upgrade accordingly, as any typical hot-rodder does, you should be fine.

Like adding a more powerful v-8 where a slant six used to reside......if you don't take it easy, that little 7 1/4 rear won't last too long.

However, even with added power, the stock halfshafts in the daytonas can take a fair amount of extra power in stock form. Just don't expect them to live a normal life with constant hole-shots.

Sensible driving with that added power is the key to longevity of the remaining stock pieces.

Quick Reply: Buying a Daytona