Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

ware to start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 AM
nddaytona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ware to start?

I own an 89 dodge daytona 2.5 liter turbo. i have worked on the engine a little bit but need ideas for what to do next. turbo? exaust? chip?

also I need to find out how to take the govenor off help please

Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 AM
R/Tona

Well, if you go with a bigger turbo, most likely, you'll need larger injectors and possibly a remapped 'puter anyway.
If this is a T-I car, then find an intercooler and plumb it in! That'll give you a boost relatively easily.
Another way to help power, is to remove the balance shafts in the bottom end. It'll take away some of the smoothness, but you'll be carrying less weight and there'll be less for the engine to spin, thereby freeing up horsepower and allowing for quicker rpm gain. This is, of course, more involved, but if money is tight, but time is not, this could be a viable option for you.
Most times this is done in tandem with another mod though.

Tell us a little more about the car! (And pics are ALWAYS GOOD) ;-)

Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 PM
MNmopar
Default re

No "chip"... complete waste of money.

More info on your car would help as r/tona said. If it's a t1, intercooling it will help and free you to turn up the boost a little. Get a g valve.

Open up your exhaust as much as you can afford to and the balance shafts will help squeeze out a few extra horses, but imo it's only worth doing if you're going to do it yourself. It's not that big of a difference and it wouldn't be worth paying someone to do.

Also, go to turbododge.com and turbo-mopar.com for a bunch of great info!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
nddaytona

ive taken the intake and exaust manifolds out and ported and polished them. i have a 2" exaust from the headers out and welded a intake hose up to get rid of half twists and turns that come with it.
i havent worked to much with intercoolers in the past but theres a first time for everything

Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM
MNmopar
Default re

Are you sure that it's 2"? That's pretty small.

I think the factory was 2 1/4 and most people upgrade to 2 1/2 for better flow.

3" kits are pretty popular too, but it's debatable as to whether you need that unless you're really moving some serious air.

Quick Reply: ware to start?