Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

2.2 and 2.5 making a 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
js87z
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.2 and 2.5 making a 2.3

hi you all it has been awhile i have a project in mind with my daytona when i make it back state side i should have some money saved to start it. but before i get started i need to know a few things how do you actaul make this 2.3 with a 2.2 and 2.5 cuz i think i want to do that as a base and add some goodies like ported head and intake and exhuast manifolds. slightly larger turbo and a mild prformance cam. i kinda want to make it an every day driver with around 300hp would be nice i could use some input on what i should do to get that as my final product any help would be great thanks

Old 03-17-2005, 11:11 PM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.2 and 2.5 making a 2.3

Whats your budget? To make 300hp everyday reliably, your going to need a commonblock with forged pistons, a S60 or T3/T4 hybrid and a big IC. Then fuel system upgrades and a cal. Then I hope your tranny and axles are up to it. Also need specs on what you are starting with. I dont know what you are talking about with the 2.3l. Even a 2.2 bored out alot wont make it a 2.3 I believe.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Turbobearcat
Professional

ORIGINAL: GTCandGTSturbo

Whats your budget? To make 300hp everyday reliably, your going to need a commonblock with forged pistons, a S60 or T3/T4 hybrid and a big IC. Then fuel system upgrades and a cal. Then I hope your tranny and axles are up to it. Also need specs on what you are starting with. I dont know what you are talking about with the 2.3l. Even a 2.2 bored out alot wont make it a 2.3 I believe.
I think your right about one thing, he has no idea what he's talking about but that's the reason why he's asking the questions.

1. 2.2L bored out will give you more torque but as much as a 2.5L will.
2. raise the Boost pressue.. which brings you to a grainger valve and maybe more mods.. it depends on what you plan on doing with the car.. larger injectors, calibrations... you do need to start with the Common block motor, 89 and newer block.
3. Exhaust system size
4. port the head, intake and exhaust manifolds

don't forget to change the clutch setup to something that can hold the extra power.

so much to do if you want 300HP but for the amount of $$ you can spend, a turbo Dodge is cheaper than a V8 Chevy or Ford.

Bearcat

Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that was wondering what the 2.3L thing was, I've never heard of combining the two to get that either.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:42 AM
js87z
Rookie

i read about this 2.3l when i was researching mods for the daytonas and on this one page they talk about taking the crank out of the 2.5 l short block and putting it into a 2.2l if i remember correctly and it makes like a 2.3l. i wasn't sure if any one else had heard of it or have tried it. i will try to find the web page again so i can show it to you guys. i should have a good couple grand saved up by the time i get home and my friend has a his own shop and is will to do the work and get the parts i need at his cost. he also has the abiltiy to port and polish the intake and exhuast manifolds. that should save me a good amount of money. i just wanted to see if any of you knoiw about this 2.3l. they say it creates alot of torque. so i thought it would be worth a shot to check it out.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Turbobearcat
Professional

ORIGINAL: js87z

i read about this 2.3l when i was researching mods for the daytonas and on this one page they talk about taking the crank out of the 2.5 l short block and putting it into a 2.2l if i remember correctly and it makes like a 2.3l. i wasn't sure if any one else had heard of it or have tried it. i will try to find the web page again so i can show it to you guys. i should have a good couple grand saved up by the time i get home and my friend has a his own shop and is will to do the work and get the parts i need at his cost. he also has the abiltiy to port and polish the intake and exhuast manifolds. that should save me a good amount of money. i just wanted to see if any of you knoiw about this 2.3l. they say it creates alot of torque. so i thought it would be worth a shot to check it out.
FRACK NO>>> I'm not sure where you got that one, disregaurd what you read and read wht I am about to post very very closely.
I've been in this business for 20 years in these cars and I can tell you the following information will help you out.

1.Swapping a 2.5L crank into a 2.2L will NOT get you a 2.3L...
Why do you ask? It's simple..the commonblock motor which came out in 89-94 used either crank..which is true..HOWEVER the pistons
are not the same which leads to piston height problems if you tried to use a 2.2L piston with a 2.5L crank.. the piston would be sticking
over the top of the block! so that tells you this is not a option.
2. There was a early 2.5L made but the block was 12mm taller than a 2.2L block..very hard to find, it has a 2.5L crank and 2.2L pistons but the deck height of the block makes up for the 2.2L pistons.
3. I know your going to ask about swapping cranks from older to newer... a BIGGER NO..
the old style block and the CBlock cranks are NOT interchanable for a few reason and believe me I found out the hard way ONCE and learned from the mistake.

If you want to make power bore out the block 30-40 over and buy some forged pistons, your stock pistons for a 2.2L will be fine for about 250hp if I'm not correct.. you will have more torque than a standard turbo 2.2L going this rout...but if you want torque that
can twist your nuts off, then find a 2.5L and enjoy.

Bearcat

[IMG]local://upfiles/13004/79751FCEAC274895AC44A974E4AF083C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
casper
Legend

displacement = torque.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Turbobearcat
Professional

ORIGINAL: casper

displacement = torque.
A-Frackin'-men!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:34 AM
js87z
Rookie

that is why i ask before i went out and tryied it. it sounded kinda odd to me and it didn't really make a hole lot of sence but i thought i would ask any way. i was planning on biuld a motor when i get home so would you say it would be better to biuld a 2.5 l instead of a 2.2 l ? i can get a 2.5 l block with ease but i already have the 2.2l . would there be any real major chance that would have to be done to do that kinda swap?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:04 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your almost always better off to use the biggest engine possible to start off with, the old saying, "there's no replacement for displacement" comes to mind here. This is always true, because the larger engines can be turbo and supercharged just like the smaller ones.

Quick Reply: 2.2 and 2.5 making a 2.3