Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

shelby z trans conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
slidewithstyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shelby z trans conversion

Hi everyone im new here I have a 1988 shelby z automatic and i was wondering if anyone else has tried this swap or had any experiance with this swap? I have all the parts i thought i would need from the pull apart that had a shelby z 5 speed. I picked up the

Transmission
Pedal assembly
clutch slave/master cyinder

I thought that would be everything needed is there anything else? I thought that i probably should have taken the crossmember.
Any advice is welcome

Thanks
Austin

Last edited by slidewithstyle; 10-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
sapporo
Banned

i've done it a bunch of times. NO slave or master cylinder required it's a cable setup. need the shifter, shifter cables, center console top piece. to do it properly you'll need to change underhood wire harness and computer. best to get a whole parts car then you got every part. I have 3 shelby daytona's, I'm parting out

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

What sapporo said. And on that note, while I prefer 5 speeds because they're fun, the auto's are stronger and the cars are quicker through the quarter with a properly built one.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
What sapporo said. And on that note, while I prefer 5 speeds because they're fun, the auto's are stronger and the cars are quicker through the quarter with a properly built one.
why does your shelby have a 520 instead of a 555 that it would have come with?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
slidewithstyle

So can you still buy shifter cables from dodge i dont know if i should use a used cable. Thanks for telling me about that. On a scale of 1-10 how hard is the wiring for the conversion?

Thanks
Austin

Old 10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by slidewithstyle
So can you still buy shifter cables from dodge i dont know if i should use a used cable. Thanks for telling me about that. On a scale of 1-10 how hard is the wiring for the conversion?

Thanks
Austin

for me it's a 1 on wiring difficulty. You can't buy the shifter and cables from dodge. but you can buy them from me. I have 4 turbo shelby daytona's I'm parting out

Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Originally Posted by sapporo
why does your shelby have a 520 instead of a 555 that it would have come with?
Because I grenaded it. And the 525 that came after that. It's what I could find quickly and affordably.

I'm extremely hard on this car, running 27 PSI and driving it like it was stolen pretty much all the time. Replaced the first engine within a month, popped the head gasket on the next one soon after, replaced the pistons on the next gasket, have gone through two stock turbos. It sat from 2003 til may '09, when I finally ordered an Enforcer II turbo from FM. But now it sits next to the shop, with another bad head gasket, serious oil leaks and the failure that finally put it down, when all the teeth ripped off the auxiliary shaft. I've got the block from the first engine, already cleaned and punched, new set of speed pro +0.020" and a set of recon'd rods. But I'm a bit short of funds for the crank kit and the rotating assembly balance, and I don't wanna put it together until I have an FM505 cam in hand and get the head O-ringed anyway.

BTW, when I get my finances squared away, I'd like to do business on the shift cables you have. I've found new ones, but they're damn expensive.

Last edited by Sixtysixdeuce; 10-29-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
TurboZ_C/S

Originally Posted by slidewithstyle

Thanks
Austin
If the used cable isn't worn and 'looks' OK I would use it no problem. Just grease it up by forcing some grease inside between the cable and the outer shield. When I rebuild my Turbo Z I removed from the firwall forward, the interior etc. When I put it all back together I simply reused the clutch cable which has over 120,000 on the clock and was 25 years old.

But if you want to install a new one they are still available from the dealer. You just need to locate one as they are no longer manufactured. A member on another forum just ran through issues with cables from parts stores and ended up buying one from the dealer to install in his car.

Quick Reply: shelby z trans conversion