Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

looking at buying an '89 daytona

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
danate414
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at buying an '89 daytona

hey guys, new guy here,

like the thread title says, i'm going to be looking at an '89 Daytona 2.5L non-tubro on Wednesday.

this will be my 1st time buying an older vehicle(currently drive an '06 Charger Daytona R/T) but with rising gas prices and not wanting to put obscene amount of miles on it since it is a limited edition i've decided to get a little 4 cylinder to drive back and forth to work, and let the Charger for Saturday night.

in the ad, the '89 is listed as having 76,000 original miles on it, new exhaust, brakes.

just wondering what things i should be looking for that would make buying this car a mistake, i've liked these cars since i was a kid, but i don't want to buy a money pit either.

i know rust is a big issue, and i will be looking for that with a tight-toothed comb, but what else should i be looking for before/during/after the test-drive?

thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 AM
sapporo
Banned

I'd be looking for something else if you want good gas mileage. if it's an automatic, your charger will get better fuel mileage.

I'd be suspicious of a 21 year old car only having 76k miles

figure needing a head gasket, all kinds of quirks and rattles. you'll find that driving that old daytona will be like riding on a red wagon compared to the luxury and finish quality of your charger. just think of how much gas you can buy for the cost of that car, then throw in the additional cost of insurance, license fees, etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
TurboZ_C/S

The 2.5 TBI is an extreemly reliable engine. I have two Daytonas. One is a 2.5 TBI which I bought in December of '85. It just turned over 300,000 with the same enigne. Head gaskets are only a problem if you run them too hot. While it is true you won't get the same fuel economy with the automatic as a 5 speed it will do far better than your Charger.

You'll feel the road a bit more than your newer car with the plush suspension but the Daytona is comfortable. I like the way I can 'wear' the car and feel the road. It's peppy enough and overall has been a great car for the past 25 years.

My second Daytona is one which I show. It's a Turbo Z C/S. Rather rare.

Photos can be found here if you're interested.

http://www.allpar.com/gallery3/index...ona/G1/album36

Those photos are of the restoration and the photos where it was displayed in the invitational building at the All Chrysler Nationals this past year at Carlisle.

Quick Reply: looking at buying an '89 daytona