Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

89 daytona engine randomly dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
ishaw90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 daytona engine randomly dies while driving

hi all,

I recently purchased a very clean 89 Dayton its only 53k miles on it with the original 2.2L NA Chrysler k engine. I have only had it for a couple months now. The car has been running very smoothly with no issues at all until one day when i was driving the car around the engine jumped up and down a couple hundred rpm violently only for about a second or two balanced back out and then the engine completely shuts off. The car will fire up and drive again but it takes a minute or two of trying to start it, this is happening more and more frequently. I am fairly new to working on cars but was wondering if someone could help point me in the right direction as to what might be causing the problem and how to fix it. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
FFEMTC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fault codes and report back.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

This is often the HEP (Hall effect pickup) in the distributor; sometimes it's an oxygen sensor if it only does it with engine warm.

Quick Reply: 89 daytona engine randomly dies while driving