Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

Another ? for one of you guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:41 PM
red shelby z
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ? for one of you guys

OK, here it is. We took the same fuel rail, injectors, and wiring harness off of a running shelby z, exact same year with the auto trans. This car will run, except for the fact that has been severly wrecked, motor still runs and all works on the running gear. Any way we are getting great fuel pressure and fire to all 4 cylinders. I'm wondering if its the timing thats the problem. Does anyone know the correct way to get it close to where it should be? This car is not running at all, we however played with the adjusting the timing some and did get it to sputter a time or two today, but it didn't start.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
red shelby z
Rookie
Default RE: Another ? for one of you guys

OK, with the aid of some starting fluid, again we got it cranked. We ran it about 1500 RPMs and it ran on its on (not having to use starting fluid) but was extremely weak, after it running like it did I decided to spray some carb cleaner in it, this seemed to help it a bit believe it or not, it keep trying to come alive, the more I sprayed in, the better it ran. Well on my way back in the shop to grab another can of carb cleaner it died out, it would not start back up from this point and gave an odd smell out of the exhaust, maybe the carb cleaner being burned off, not sure, but can anyone direct me where to go from here. Car, when it was running was really weak and sluggish, could only get 2500-2600 rpms out of it. Timing still????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 PM
red shelby z
Rookie

Again, its going now,for how long I don't know....LOL, but its still extremely weak and the exhaust seems to be really hot, I mean hot! Still has no power but it will turn almost to 3000 rpms now. If I spray some carb cleaner in the air box pickup it'll start reving into the higher rpms, but this is the only way to get it up there.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:37 PM
87Indy500
Veteran

ORIGINAL: red shelby z

OK, here it is. We took the same fuel rail, injectors, and wiring harness off of a running shelby z, exact same year with the auto trans. This car will run, except for the fact that has been severly wrecked, motor still runs and all works on the running gear. Any way we are getting great fuel pressure and fire to all 4 cylinders. I'm wondering if its the timing thats the problem. Does anyone know the correct way to get it close to where it should be? This car is not running at all, we however played with the adjusting the timing some and did get it to sputter a time or two today, but it didn't start.
Baseline it at 12 deg. Do a run and bump it up 2 degs. If you go faster and no pinging, do it again. Back off when you slow down or start pinging. Be very careful and don't get to CRAZY on the advance.

Are you sure that the fuel filter isn't clogged? When was it last replaced? I usually replace the one in my GLH-T once a year.

Quick Reply: Another ? for one of you guys