Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Charlotte newspaper: Computer running Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Charlotte newspaper: Computer running Slow?

Computer going slow? Get back to the basics ROD TURNHAM "Why is my computer so slow?" It's one of the most common questions a tech columnist is asked.It also is one of the toughest questions a tech columnist can be asked. It's like asking a health columnist, "Why does my back hurt?" Each computer is a separate case and requires a personal analysis and an individual remedy.The first thing you should check for is malicious software. Be sure that your virus scanning program is updated, then run a full system scan. If you don't have a virus scanner, get the free Malicious Software Removal Tool from Microsoft (www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx).When you've eradicated the malware, it's time to dump the garbage. As you add and remove programs from your computer, it gets "dirty" with bits and pieces of those programs left behind. Keep in mind that adding a program to your computer may be as simple as visiting a Web site and allowing that site to run scripts on your computer. The scraps left behind accumulate and cause your computer to work harder to find what it needs on your disk, or in the registry. We'll get back to cleanup procedures further on down.Junk also tends to accumulate in the Windows startup procedure. Whenever you start your computer, dozens (perhaps hundreds) of little programs start and wait quietly in the background, watching for their opportunity to "assist" you with a myriad of tasks. Each consumes memory and processing power, and slows your computer. Many of these programs are not needed.Programs attach to the Windows startup procedure in several places. The most common are the Startup folder (click on Start, Programs, Startup to see the contents) and the registry. Utilities are available to help you find and evaluate these programs, and remove the ones you don't need. My favorite is WinPatrol (www.winpatrol.com). I like this utility because it gives clear descriptions of the startup programs, and offers the option to retain a program in the startup routine, but on a delayed start. The author offers free and purchased versions.Windows stores temporary files, but does a poor job of cleaning them up. To clean up after your Internet browser, click on "Tools, Internet Options, Clear History" if you're using Internet Explorer, or "Tools, Clear Private Data" if you're using Firefox. Windows temporary files are scattered in several places, so you'll need a bit of help cleaning those up.There are many good programs available to clean up temporary files, left-behind junk files and obsolete registry entries. "Advanced Windows Optimizer" from YL Computing (www.ylcomputing.com) is a top-rated example of such a program. "TuneUp Utilities 2007" (www.tune-up.com) is another award-winning, well-regarded option.A good one-stop shop for security and cleanup utilities is Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare (http://onecare.live.com), an online-delivered maintenance service. It costs $49.95 per year.If you want to roll up your sleeves and really dig in to the computer cleanup tasks on your own, pick up a copy of "Degunking Windows" by Joli Ballew and Jeff Duntemann. It's available through Amazon.com for $18.24.When you've done all the cleaning and tuning you can, if your computer still seems slow, step back and consider what the word "slow" means. It is a comparative word, and when we apply it to a computer, we're really saying it is slow compared to our expectations. Do we have reasonable expectations?Most of us are doing much more with our computers than we were when we bought them. In my case, I said "I'll never need to edit video" when I bought my computer, but the arrival of my grandson changed all that in a heartbeat.If your demands upon your computer have increased, you may need to add memory or upgrade to a faster processor. Both upgrades can breathe new life into an older computer. Don't consider spending anything on an upgrade, however, until you've done a thorough cleanup and evaluated the result.Now, if I could just get somebody here to take on the "Why does my back hurt?" question.Reboot RodTurnham [hr] Rod Turnham is an analyst in the Observer's information technology department. rturnham@charlotteobserver.com

Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 AM
thankuhal
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charlotte newspaper: Computer running Slow?

Get Spybot Search&Destroy. One of the best cookie busters around. Free too

[IMG]local://upfiles/71292/11711B6887E24CECB8E192352FF148E0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2007, 03:36 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I run both Ad Aware and Spybot. One gets what the other misses. Doesn't slow down the computer like having two different anti-virus programs would.

Dusty

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with above.
Housecall is worth running once a month or more too:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

The Panda NanoScan is considerably faster,
but deals more with viruses and is not as complete for malware:

www.nanoscan.com

Old 10-08-2007, 12:07 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Great posts guys!!!

Another great tool, despite it all, is Windows Defender

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Much like Spybot, but also uses some of what makes Ad-Aware great as well.

*DISCLAIMER*

Do not try anything you read on these pages if you do not know what you are doing or have not consulted someone first. These programs can potentially cause damage to your operating system if they are used incorrectly.

Quick Reply: Charlotte newspaper: Computer running Slow?