Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

AMD vs Intel

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMD vs Intel

I am looking to buy a Dell desktop and trying to decide to get a AMD or Intel processor, seems like the AMD is faster, which is best?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: AMD vs Intel

ORIGINAL: 2007 SLT Hemi Power

I am looking to buy a Dell desktop and trying to decide to get a AMD or Intel processor, seems like the AMD is faster, which is best?
The Intel chips (Core 2 Duo) are faster......but the AMD chips are fairly good too.

Ever since Intel released their Core 2 Duo lineup, they've virtually destroyed AMD's comparable processor.....

While the AMD processor may be a higher gigahertz, it doesnt make it faster....as you can have a Core 2 Duo that's 1.5ghz outperform an AMD or Intel that's 2.4ghz...

Why? Simple.... 2 Core's vs. 1 Core..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional

it seems like a intel World, like Windows. I know Lynx is better, so many programs do not work with it, same as MS Word vs Open Source

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my AMD socket A...aka AthlonXP 2600+ 2.13GHrz. its clock speed is 2.13GHrz, but its faster than my churches projection computer which is a 2.8GHrz P4.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
casper3380
Veteran

LIke said above AMD are good chips, but the new Intels are far faster and pulling away. Intel has larger cache than the amd, though only one core can use that cache at a time while the amd has a cache for each core. My new laptop is an amd chip and it works great. Rated faster than my 3.4 Ghz p4. Follow the link below. Its pretty well updated and will give you an idea of where the chips stand, almost all new cept absolute recent and old.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

hope it helps ya m8

Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: casper3380

LIke said above AMD are good chips, but the new Intels are far faster and pulling away. Intel has larger cache than the amd, though only one core can use that cache at a time while the amd has a cache for each core. My new laptop is an amd chip and it works great. Rated faster than my 3.4 Ghz p4. Follow the link below. Its pretty well updated and will give you an idea of where the chips stand, almost all new cept absolute recent and old.

hope it helps ya m8

Yep, although the latest Intel dual/quad core chips have the cache divided evenly.... I have a Quad core 2.13ghz 8mb cache chip...

Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

im an AMD person and i will be the first to admit intel currently has the better chips. now that didnt stop me from buying amd though. i am fimiliar with their setup and ****. the only advantage AMD may have is that it can be cheapier. but on the performance scale intel currently is producing better chips.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: casper3380

hope it helps ya m8

Yep, although the latest Intel dual/quad core chips have the cache divided evenly.... I have a Quad core 2.13ghz 8mb cache chip...
I cant wait for the new Nehalem CPU's to come out later this year, according to some tests I've seen Intel has been able to run these things upward of 4.5GHz on standard air cooling...the new 45nm architecture is supposed to be leaps ahead of the current Conroe chips too.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am waiting to see the new Toshiba laptop that will have the "Cell" multi-processor chip
that Sony, Toshiba and Motorola developed

Old 01-19-2008, 12:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in the never ending race for speed, Intel is currently slightly ahead.

however, it really doesn't matter. either one is fine and P.O.S. VISTA will waste most of it anyway. i'd consider price, warranty, and other features.