Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Windows XP lovers/defenders, please explain...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM
pghsebring
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windows XP lovers/defenders, please explain...

Well, i edited the dhcpnode typeregistry on one of the computers, and it seems to have fixed it. Now i have to try to keep it wokring on all the computers while bringing back up all the firewalls, the VPN, the exceptions in the firewalls...what a nightmare...and i have to see which updates i can install without breaking ti again...i'm sure this is far from over

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
pghsebring
Record Breaker

What it seems to have turned out to be was a malicious DHCP server on a router that set a registry key (for DHCPNode type)in one of my laptops to a different value, so when i came back to my network, it couldn't communicate with it. Trying to re-setup the network caused and obscured a bunch more problems...i got the VPN and firewalls back up...now i'm just afraid to try to download all those windows updates i've been avoiding for a month...

Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: pghsebring

What it seems to have turned out to be was a malicious DHCP server on a router that set a registry key (for DHCPNode type)in one of my laptops to a different value, so when i came back to my network, it couldn't communicate with it. Trying to re-setup the network caused and obscured a bunch more problems...i got the VPN and firewalls back up...now i'm just afraid to try to download all those windows updates i've been avoiding for a month...
Well, set a Windows Restore point for your current laptop configuration, and then install the updates. If everything works, then proceed to finish the rest. If it craps out, then restore to the previous point and nothing's lost.

A malicious DHCP server? That's a new one for me, but I also keep most of my stuff locked down and encrypted on my network at home. Glad you may have found the cause tho.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: pghsebring

I have 2 laptops and an office computer. Up until a couple days ago they all could talk to each other without issue. No new programs were installed on any of them, no configurations changed, nothing. The network just stopped working.

So i set all the permissions back to as open as possible, turned off all the firewalls, had to re "set up a network" on two of them. Now i have this:

Laptop 2 can talk to Laptop1, and Office
Office can talk to Laptop1
Laptop 2 can talk to Laptop1

Laptop1 CANNOT talk to Office.

Please explain how this happens. I'm not sure whats more amazing, that the network just quit for no reason, or this retardedness its doing now. Unbelieveable.

All the settings are the same on all the computers by the way. I've reset each one about a dozen times. All are XP SP 2.
My first thought would be to look at Microsoft Updates, as if yours is set to autoupdate, then this is quite possibly the culprit. Last week they issued several critical patches, and some of those MAY have affected your systems.

Based on what you've stated, none of that makes sense, but I have seen dumb crap like this happen for no reason. Usually its an update or software update. I realize you've said you havent made any changes, and I believe that.

My suggestion would be to look at your recent updates for Windows and see if any were installed last week. If they were, that's where I'd start looking. Sometimes updates crap out settings for whatever reason...

You should be able to go to Windows or Microsoft Update and view the list of installed updates...

I hate those updates, they seem to bog your computer down and take alot of space on the HD, I have turned mine off, I have SP2 and thats all I need, it works for me...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a mixture of dell quality and user error to me.

next time you need a new computer, rather than flushing your money away to dell, why not just paypal me that money, and ill send you a laptop that is already broken, so you wont have to wait for the dell quality to kick in. i tell ya what, ill give you a discount. paypal me half of what dell charged, and ill send you a laptop that works most of the time...youll be ahead of the game.

does dell run satellite TV too?

[8D]

Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

next time you need a new computer, rather than flushing your money away to dell, why not just paypal me that money, and ill send you a laptop that is already broken, so you wont have to wait for the dell quality to kick in. i tell ya what, ill give you a discount. paypal me half of what dell charged, and ill send you a laptop that works most of the time...youll be ahead of the game.

[8D]
Now wait just a minute there buddy, I happen to own and work on Dells!!!!! They're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be....

Yes, Dell's run satellite TV, and some of their computer montiors double as TV LCD's.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

he has had problems from day 1 with those paperweights...and my comment about satellite TV is a joke, aimed at his insistance that his "it dont work when its not sunny" TV service is much better than crapcast, because its cheaper.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
cpukramer
Captain

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

[8D]
+1 ... I am so sick of everyone telling me how great Dell is. I have had nothing but problems with all of their **** ... I am so happy that I switched to all Lenovo workstations.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i think that too many people mistake "good quality for the price" with "good quality". charging a dollar for a pile of horse crap and calling it an air freshener doesnt make it better than a 5 dollar air freshener that actually makes things smell better...

Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional

I have owned 2 dells; server & laptop both were great, customer service was excellent..just my thoughts...

Quick Reply: Windows XP lovers/defenders, please explain...